15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 8:28 PM by hardcoregames™

AMD-8350 Low FPS

cretauk

I know other people have had this issue and sometimes having even slightly different builds can change what will work so I wanted to describe my issue and hardware.

Whenever I am playing a game obviously as the title states I lose fps. Old or new games it doesn't matter one bit. I have an AMD-8350 4.0Ghz, 600w psu, 16gb RAM (had 24 and removed 2 chips to check it), right now I have my EVGA GTX 750Ti in my tower and a EVGA GTX 960 because I thought that might be the issue I switched them out, and an MSI 970 Gaming motherboard. People have told me its a power issue, I have been told its my Motherboard, been told its my cards or it could be heating and I felt I should defer to others expertise before spending moneys everywhere chasing down what it might be.

I have tried turning everything down on games and even tried over-clocking which only had minor boosts so I'm at a loss right now in fixing this issue. I shouldn't have an issue at all. My old build I could run plenty of games including Fallout4 on ultra. Thank you to anyone that may be able to help in advance

I can add information if anyone is able to help but need more information.

• Re: AMD-8350 Low FPS
          black_zion

Define "low FPS". Fallout 4: Graphics & CPU Performance > Benchmarks: 1080p - TechSpot shows the 960 averaging 61fps.

cretauk

Sorry about that. Guess I did forget that. I average under 35 fps most the time and with my old system and a 750ti I was hitting 45-50fps average except for heavy spots of weapon effects going off.

hardcoregames™

couple of issues, the 750 Ti and 960 are not exactly top shelf cards so do not expect games to work like that

your PSU is also last year's technology, this year is the CS series and their CS650M is ideal for an uppity video card

an RX 480 is not expensive and it will blow away your team green cards easily

even my 4 year old HD 7870 beats the 750 Ti and even keeps the 960 honest

markiemarcus

I reckon it might be a case of being CPU bound. If their previous machine had a high IPC chip ~Haswell, even if only dual core, moving to a 8350 could result in a serious drop in performance in FO4.

brucer

your cpu bottlenecked, but not as bad as the performance your saying your losing..  one way to tell would be to overclock the cpu 200mhz and benchmark it, then go another 200mhz and benchmark it again...

I know the fx8350 are now outdated and are bottlenecked by all these new gpu's.  My fx8350 at 4.5ghz is still bottlenecking my 480, I actually think its a combination of the cpu and the slower ddr3 memory thats doing it and not the cpu alone.

brucer

How old is the psu, and what brand psu is it?  Your psu could be getting weak, they can degrade over time, especially if its a lower quality psu.

What the specifics on your memory? ddr3-2400?  also do you have the memory modules in the correct slots for running dual channel?

Have you updated your motherboard bios to the most current bios?

Also, swapping out several gpus, I would run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) in safe mode and clean the system of all old drivers and reinstall the latest drivers for your gpu.  Also you might dig around and find older drivers may run better for specific games...

What type of case and ventilation do you have?

cretauk

My psu is new with the motherboard. Its a CX600M from Corsair. 600watt I bought it because I knew I'd need a better one then my 450watt. I believe they are DDR3-1600. BIOS is up to date as of a few days ago but it didn't help unfortunately. I could use a new case as ventilation might be part of it. I have 3 case fans on it. 2 blowing out and one blowing in. My old system had less power over all from ram to psu to a worse cpu and everything ran better.

markiemarcus

What CPU did you have in your old build?

brucer

My old rig is a 990fxa-ud3 or ud5 and fx8350 black clocked at 4.5ghz    running ddr3-2400.

I found I was cpu bottlenecked when I started benchmarking and incrementally increased my clock speeds, it was pretty evident as I was seeing improvement with each step I increased the clock speeds..  I hit 4.5ghz and stopped..

I had ran my cpu at 4.4ghz since it was new, I just downclocked it to stock speeds then reoverclocked it...

something else check and see if your power settings in windows is set to performance and make sure your cores are parked/unparked.

I call it parking my cores because I set them to not downclock.. default settings the cpu will downclock and you dont want that.  Theres a thread on here somewhere that explains it and gives you step by step instructions how to do it, its simple to do.

brucer

Here, Kingfish has a good explanation of it here.  I Need Better Core Distribution on My FX 6200

cretauk

My old cpu was a AMD FX 6300 6-core and so far I've regretted trying to upgrade.