Windows 10 64

Driver: 16.7.2

Sapphire HD7870

AOC i2352Vh

MSI B85M-E33

i5-4670K

Seasonic 620w 80+

8 GB RAM

Hello, ever since I installed the 16.7.2 drivers my graphics card is not working. Whenever I install the drivers, the installation is either interrupted by a crash, or I manage to install and then I get crashes during windows boot. I can only start Windows in safe mode or without the drivers installed. I have tried clean installing the drivers with DDU, repairing the system, repairing windows and even formatting my SSD, but the problem persists. I cannot even install the older drivers now, because the installation always crashes as soon as display drivers start installing. Help please.

• Re: HD7870 crashing when installing drivers
          deathblack

I've got the same problem except for that I can install drivers correctly, but immediately after this screens turns black, and sometimes it shows something like matrix image. Everything was fine b4 yesterday the error 'video driver crushed and was reset' has been shown. After this screen went black, PC went to reboot, but nothing except black screen after windows loading screen. Everything works fine in safe mode as well as if I delete videocard drivers in safe mode and reboot to start in normal mode. But then it seems to automatically download and install drivers and all hell breaks loose again.

Sapphire hd7870 2 gb 256 bit, windows 8.1 x64, Intel core I5 2500.

Have no idea how to make it work correct again, tried different driver versions, all stays the same - black screen and some flashes of meaningless matrix-like strips.

domdom32

Yeah, it works in safe mode because the drivers don't work in safe mode. I haven't found a solution yet, but a temporary fix is to simply uninstall the drivers and prevent them from installing again.

How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10  Here you can find the instructions, you need to disable automatic driver updates and hide the amd update.

You won't be able to play games or anything since you have no drivers, but the computer is still usable for other tasks.

I would think this is a hardware problem, but there are too many identical reports for it to be a coincidence. Unless the drivers fried all our graphics cards or sth.

deathblack

On Russian forums I've found that the problem may be caused by monitor refresh rate that is automatically set by drivers to an amount which is not supported by monitor. If I remember it right - in CCC I could set refresh rate manually and this could help to solve a bit of the problem we're having. However I can not check it as catalyst control center is not installed and can not be installed in safe mode for me, as well as in normal mode w/o driver installation.

domdom32

I haven't come across that information, but yeah, there is no way for me to check it either. What i also don't understand is the fact that the drivers worked normally (at least in my case) for a day or two. I'm also suspecting it could be something with the newest Windows update, because this happened the same day I downloaded the new Windows updates.

deathblack

Everything worked good for me for about a week (just bought an almost new {previously used} PC), then 'video driver crushed and was reset' and in half an hour all this started. I did not download windows updates and moreover I'm using win 8.1, not 10th, heard about people who had the same problem on win 7 also. I'm not saying that windows update could not cause it though.

deathblack

Just finished full reinstallation of Windows, all was fine until I downloaded video drivers by means of catalyst autodetectutility. When it downloaded drivers and was installing it I decided that the problem is solved as display turned black a few times (as it warns b4 installation process) and then went back to normal image, but then it turned black and did not went back, reboot gave me nothing but black screen by the first attempt and picture below by the second.

1.jpg

Well, I stop trying to solve it, deleted drivers in safe mode, auto-update was disabled during windows installation, gonna just w8 for answers there.

domdom32

I tried clearing CMOS and that got me somewhere. I was able to install the driver 16.3, HD7870 appeared in the device manager, but there was an error 31 saying: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.

When I tried installing 16.7 I got the black screen issue again. I will try clearing CMOS again later. Can anyone suggest how to solve this error 31 problem?

deathblack

Tried to update to windows 10, it crashed @ the drivers installation stage, after this display shows artifacts even w/o drivers and even on the motherboard screen so I tend to think it's not jsut software, but hardware problem in my situation. Reinstalled 8.1 again, artifacts stayed. Wil try to clear CMOS now, however I don't even hope for now this can help.

Btw I've written to an AMD support directly by Email Form, it's weekends now and I believe this is the reason no one of officials is responding.

P.S.: After so many ways I've tried to solve it, I discovered, I can't install most of driver versions for now, screen goes black during the installation process, audio goes 'bzzzzzzzzz' and nothing happens until I reboot my PC. After reboot there's no drivers installed so it boots normally. Can only put 15.11 on, screen goes black as well, but after reboot I see nothing but black screen and booting in safe mode shows that the driver is installed.