6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 11:52 AM by phaceial

Driver issue?

phaceial

XFX 7870 DD Edition

Desktop

Windows 7 64bit

Currently no drivers installed (only way to get the card to work normally.) With any driver installed I can only boot in safe mode.

Samsung syncmaster 240

Asus Maximus V Formula

i5 3770K

16gb ram

Coolermaster silent 850w

So the last few days I have been going crazy trying to figure out why my computer wouldn't boot normally. The last few months after upgrading from the extremely old drivers I was using, I kept getting driver stopped working error. No big deal it turns off real quick and back on and I have no idea what version of the drivers that was. Two days ago I started having an issue with my computer. I originally thought it was a more serious issue, but I narrowed it down to a driver issue after downgrading my os from 10 to 7 with a clean install (don't think my computer updated to newest drivers, I believe they were the same drivers that were giving me the display driver has stopped responding error). Pc will boot normally until I install any type of amd driver for the graphics card. I even tried installing the last of the catalyst drivers and run into the same issue. Every time I switch between AMD drivers I use the DDU to ensure there's nothing of the old drivers left behind and same issue. I have no idea what's wrong.

• Re: Driver issue?
          phaceial

I just upgraded to windows 10 and it forces it into downloading some card for the driver. Whenever I try to uninstall or remove the device using device manager or the amd uninstall tool, it freezes my computer. I've tried doing that 10 times now with a 100% chance. Is anyone from AMD ever going to be able answer?

domdom32

Nope, I already posted twice here with the same problem, and no one is responding. Also using HD 7870 and getting a black screen as soon as i install and radeon driver.

domdom32

To help you a little bit, you can stop Windows 10 from automaticall upgrading your driver by following the two steps described in this guide:

How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10

Try disabling automatic driver installation and hiding the driver using the "Show or Hide Updates" troubleshooter. The computer works as long as the drivers are not installed, but of course you can't play anything and you get horrible tears. I'm using this until I get a new card, since I have lost hope of ever getting any help from the AMD staff.

phaceial

Yea thanks, I did that soon as I just did my last ddu uninstall. Quick question. Does your pc freeze when you try to uninstall the device or disable it using windows device manager?

domdom32

I haven't tried it because now I cannot install the driver at all. A few days ago I could still install it (before i formatted my SSD) and then I was getting Error 52 in the device manager (the drivers weren't digitally signed or sth like that). So basically, I just have the "Microsoft Basic Adapter" in the Device Manager now.

phaceial

Well I'm about to run out to get a usb to flash my BIOS. I just updated back to the newest driver and computer crashed about 5 minutes ago with a thread stuck in device driver error. I just looked up and people were saying some BIOS updates fixed that when running this card...And i'm literally using a 4 year old BIOS