12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2017 3:58 AM by mdalton10

Catalyst Drivers force 4:2:2 chroma

li7in6

I have a UN55JS7000 4k@60hz with 4:4:4 chroma capable display hooked up through HDMI to a Club3d miniDP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapter. This is all plugged into the mini DisplayPort on a Radeon HD 7850.

If I uninstall all AMD drivers and Catalyst software then reboot, the computer will detect the display and automatically put out 3840x2160 @60hz. The display will pass all 4:4:4 chroma tests with flying colors. The chroma test images being used are both the pink "4:2:2/4:4:4" test image as well as the "Quick brown fox" test image, both are properly unscaled when I test for chroma. This is important because it demonstrates that this hardware setup is capable of displaying a 4k 4:4:4 chroma image with this hardware setup so long as the MAD drivers are not installed.

Now my big issue is that as soon as I install the AMD drivers and Catalyst software the display will blank out and back in, and begin displaying 4:2:2 chroma.

Hunting through the settings there is no "pixel format" on the "Radeon Additional Settings" under "My Digital Flat-Panels" as there was with my monitor to allow me to select the color space and subsampling setup.

Essentially when I install my video card's drivers I am locked into an inferior 4:2:2 chroma subsampling setting with no option to change it. Without the drivers and AMD software installed the display will default to the correct 4:4:4 chroma output and everything is fine... except I'm not running the correct drivers for my GPU.

Is this a bug with the Catalyst software and if so is it known and are there efforts being made to fix it?

Is there a way to enable to "Pixel Format" options normally available for this display ro find out why these options are gone?

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling different versions of the AMD software/driver suit with the same results over and over. I have tried different HDMI cables and different Mini DP ports and different HDMI ports. The UHD color setting IS enabled on the display to enable it to output a 4:4:4 chroma image.

Again the display outputs the correct 4:4:4 chroma 4k image as long as no AMD drivers are installed. As soon as AMD drivers are installed the display will only put out 4:2:2 chroma and there is no option to change chroma subsampling or RBG/YCbCr settings for this display.

• Re: Catalyst Drivers force 4:2:2 chroma
          amdmatt

It's expected behaviour, the limitation is with the adapter.

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

You'll need to run the display @30HZ  to get 4:4:4 with the HD 7850, or you'll need a GPU that natively supports HDMI 2.0 such as the RX 480.

li7in6

[quote]It's expected behaviour, the limitation is with the adapter.[/quote]

This is incorrect. In the very picture you posted it shows that the Club3D adapter is capable of handling a 4k @60Hz signal with a 4:4:4 subsampling and 8 bit color.

In fact this adapter is advertised specifically as capable of 4:4:4 chroma capable with 4k @60Hz resolution.

You also seem to be glossing over the point that this exact hardware setup is able to put out 4:4:4 chroma at 4k @60hz if I uninstall the AMD drivers/software.

As you can see below the TV is displaying 8bit color according to the Catalyst drivers:

AMDsite1.JPG

Notice below I was able to get the "Pixel Format" options to come up by plugging my 27" Samsung monitor into the video card. However I am unable to select the 55" TV in this options page (only the 27" S27E390) and set the desired chroma settings:

AMDsite2.JPG

If I unplug the 27" monitor the "Pixel Format" settings page disappears.

How do you adjust chroma and RGB/YCbCr settings for displayport connected devices in the Catalyst drivers?

Why is this setup able to put out 4k @60hz with 4:4:4 chroma when the AMD drivers are uninstalled but not with them installed?

amdmatt

I'll do some further investigation and get back to you.

What driver version and OS are you using?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      li7in6

I'm running

Drivers: whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.7.2-july19.exe

AMDsite3.JPG

AMDsite4.JPG

I've taken some photos to demonstrate/prove what I'm saying.

Here is the state of affairs with the AMD drivers installed:

AMDsite5.jpg

AMDsite6.jpg

Then I uninstall the AMD drivers and software:

AMDsite7.jpg

Then I restart the computer, unplug and replug the Displayport, and power cycle the display.

When windows starts up after uninstalling the AMD drivers/software this is what I get:

AMDsite8.jpg

AMDsite9.jpgAMDsite10.jpg

As you can see this setup is capable of outputting the 4k @60hz 4:4:4 chroma picture. It is just not able to do it with the AMD display drivers installed for my GPU.

Thank you for taking a look and for the help BTW.

amdmatt

Pixel format found in Additional Settings is only available for HDMI displays. Active dongles convert HDMI displays to be detected as Display Port displays in which the pixel format page will not be available. The adapter you are using is going a translation of the EDID.

We noticed that with the newest Crimson driver installed the TV is reporting 4096x2160 / 60p 4:2:2 in Additional Settings, but the maximum resolution is 3840x2160 according to the Samsung tech specs.

Have you enabled VSR in Radeon Settings > Displays?

Have you tried adjusting the resolution to 3840x2160 and then checking to see if 4:4:4 can be applied?

li7in6

amdmatt wrote:

Pixel format found in Additional Settings is only available for HDMI displays. Active dongles convert HDMI displays to be detected as Display Port displays in which the pixel format page will not be available. The adapter you are using is going a translation of the EDID.

How are you meant to change YCbCr/RGB color settings and subsampling settings on a displayport monitor without access to the "Pixel Format" settings page being available?

amdmatt wrote:

We noticed that with the newest Crimson driver installed the TV is reporting 4096x2160 / 60p 4:2:2 in Additional Settings, but the maximum resolution is 3840x2160 according to the Samsung tech specs.

I noticed that as well. The TV seems to show the 4096x2160 / 60p on the info bar when the AMD drivers are installed. In both of the above examples the display is actually set at 3840x2016 in the control panel with and without the AMD drivers. If the display is set to the 4096x2160 (curiously this is the "recommended" resolution with and without the AMD drivers) in control panel there is edge of screen overscan issues.

I do not know why there is a discrepancy between resolutions on the TV's resolution info bar with AMD drivers installed vs. not installed. It is out of my control as far as output settings go. I had the output set to 3840x2160 in control panel in all the above test images.

amdmatt wrote:

Have you enabled VSR in Radeon Settings > Displays?

Have you tried adjusting the resolution to 3840x2160 and then checking to see if 4:4:4 can be applied?

Virtual Super Resolution is a disabled option on the Catalyst control panel. I cannot set this TV with that setting, the only options available are GPU scaling in Catalyst.

In all cases of testing the computer was set to output 3840x2160 from the control panel. This can be verified because when 4096x2160 is set as the resolution then there is significant edge of screen overscan. You can see that there is no overscan in any of my photos (Start Menu button is visible, paint window is not cut off in any way when half-screen maximized, etc.)

li7in6

I have discovered a partial work around for my issue.

I have dumbed it down a bit so that people may follow these steps if they run into a similar issue. This workaround is likely specific to Samsung TV's. Step 1 is to ensure that their display is in the correct mode and being sent the correct resolution:

Step 1: Ensure the correct display is receiving the correct resolution and is in the correct mode.

• Ensure you have a true HDMI 2.0 capable 4k display that can actually receive and output a 4k @60hz with 4:4:4 chroma signal.
                            • With the computer and TV on, completely disconnect the HDMI cable going into the TV, the HDMI cable going into the Club3D adapter, and the male displayport adapter going into the GPU.
                            • Plug it all back in starting with the HDMI cable into the TV, the HDMI cable into the Club 3D adapter, and last the Displayport/mini Displayport cable back into the GPU. Ensure you are plugging the HDMI cable into the yellow "HDMI/DVI port" (typically HDMI1) on the TV.
                            • Check to make sure that this port is labeled as a PC input (press “Inputs” button on remote, highlight the input, press down, change input type, and set to "PC").
                            • Ensure that the Samsung specific "UHD Color" option is set to ON.
                            • Go to the Windows control panel under “Display>Advanced Settings” and verify that the resolution for the 4k TV is set to the correct 3840×2160 resolution (many times control panel will incorrectly have 4096×2160 the “Recommended” resolution for a 4k TV, ignore this and set to 3840×2160).
                            • Install/reinstall the latest AMD display drivers and restart the computer.
                            • After restart ensure that display is still being sent the correct 3840x2160 signal in the Windows control panel.

Step 2: "UHD Color" option cycling.

• Once you have the latest drivers installed and the display is setup correctly you need to press the menu button on the remote and navigate to the “UHD Color” setting on your TV for the input the computer is plugged into. The computer must still be on.
                            • This setting needs to be cycled OFF, then back ON for the input the computer is connected to. Doing this requires the TV to restart each time.
                            • Once you cycle the “UHD Color” option back ON the TV should now show the correct resolution on the TV’s "Info" button on screen display (3840×2160 / 60p). The display should also now correctly be displaying full 4:4:4 chroma subsampling as the CAC-1070 and CAC-1170 are meant to be able to do.
                            • Keep in mind, after cycling the the UHD Color option OFF then back ON, the correct resolution may still not be displayed (and it will be putting out 4:2:2 chroma subsampling). If this is the case you will need to cycle the "UHD Color" option OFF and ON again, possibly several times until you get the desired result.
                            • Also important to note that once you turn the TV off then go back and turn it on later the TV will have reverted to it’s previous state and you will have to jump through the “UHD Color” OFF-ON cycling hoop again to get back to your desired result.
                            • Please be aware that any resolution changes/refreshes will kick the TV out of the correct mode (3840x2160 @60hz with 4:4:4 chroma) and it will revert back to the incorrect 4:2:2 mode with 4069x2180 displayed on the TV's "Info" button on screen display. This means any program that changes resolution in any way (for instance starting a game up) will knock the TV back into 4:2:2 mode. Then you must cycle the "UHD Color" setting again to get back to 4:4:4. When you cycle UHD Color back on it sometimes takes quite a while for windows to scale and refresh your desktop making this tedious and inconvenient.
                            • This workaround method IS NOT a viable solution for people that will be going in and out of programs that change/refresh the resolution such as gamers as you will constantly be messing with the display to get the correct output.

I am unaware of any way to make the computer/adapter/display remember the correct state after the TV is turned off or resolution is changed. I seem to remember AMD previously having a setting that enabled a display/computer to correctly remember it's resolution state but that setting is long gone. Catalyst software seems to have become severely simplified and many of the useful options it once contained are now completely missing. This is unfortunate.

Is there currently a way to "lock in" the display resolution settings for a computer/TV combo after the TV/computer is turned off so we don't have to jump through these hoops to display the correct output?

I hope this info helps someone else that was frustrated by this problem. And I hope AMD is able to come up with a way to "lock in" these settings so this work around is not necessary.

AMDsite11.jpg

AMDsite12.jpg

AMDsite13.jpg

AMDsite14.jpg

mdalton10

So is this fixed yet? Just picked up my new Samsung display and I seem to be stuck in 4:2:2

li7in6

I have discovered a permanent solution to this issue. Hopefully you guys can pass this issue along to others having similar issues.

• After ensuring the TV/monitor is setup correctly and in the correct mode as outlined in my post above.
                            • Download and open Custom Resolution Utility (CRU).
                            • Select the display in question.
                            • In the “Detailed Resolutions” box delete all resolutions other than 3840×2160@60hz and 1920×1080@60hz
                            • Select the 3840×2160@60hz option and click “Edit” under “Detailed Resolutions”
                            • In the new dialog select “Timing > Automatic LCD Native”
                            • Ensure that the correct 3840×2160 resolution is input under “Active”
                            • Under refresh rate change to 59hz (~584 pixel clock)
                            • Click “OK” then click “OK” again to exit the utility
                            • Select the “restart.exe” or “restart64.exe” executable according to your OS
                            • After the restart is done and you correct all your scaling and resolution settings back to the way you want them, the display should be at a 3840×2160@60hz (59hz actual) and it should be displaying at 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.
                            • Doing this also allows the resolution to be reverted back to by default so you do not lose 4:4:4 chroma when the TV is switched off or when resolution is refreshed by a program.
                                wdhamd

NOPE.

This is what has been said for the last 2 updates....Still no change. Cant select anything, no RGB, no 4:4:4, not even screen refresh rate...

or screen size. Yes I can create custom screen size. But im talking something of the old settings that seem to still be lost.

I think im getting 4:4:4 now with the testing, but I do not have any options, or controls over the above listed.

Radeon Software Version - 16.9.1

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series 8GB

Memory Size - 8192 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1040 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.0Ghz