3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 10:31 AM by jcardoso

Having R9 290 Issues Need Some Help

pintoi007

I am currently running a i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz, r9 290 non overclocked, 8gbs of ram at 2560x1080p. I didn't have a single issue with games such as GTA V, Watch Dogs, basically demanding open world games, I could run them on very high settings at around 60fps no problem. But a few weeks ago I noticed that I had massive performance drops, along with lots of flickering and jagged textures. I checked my temps and my CPU never goes above 65C, but my GPU does sometimes climb to 85C. I went into the graphics menu and turned all of the settings down to the lowest thing possible and I still have the same issues. I get and average of about 35fps with stutters and drops. The game also says that I am using more video card memory than I have, even though I have 4gbs of VRam and it says I'm only using 2gbs. This issue also happens in other games. Any idea what the issue is, and how to fix it?

• Re: Having R9 290 Issues Need Some Help
          amdmatt

I'd recommend trying a system clean up and a fresh installation of  our latest Crimson 16.7.2 drivers, to see if it resolves the performance drop. If the issue persists, then it is probably being caused by something else on your system.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.7.2 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

brucer

When I was running my r9 290, after installing these new crimson drivers my fan speed would be set to 30% default for some reason, which would make my card get hot, so you might check that..  Set your fans at about 75-80%..  I ran my target temp at 75c..

jcardoso

Hi pintoi007, I had the same issue for a long time.

I tried many solutions found in various forums on the subject, but none of them solved the problem.

Since the problem was taking place for the second time with another R9 290 video card I decided to check via MSI Afterburner information on the GPU (temperature, activity, fan, etc) I observed that problem started when the temperature was above 75 degrees Celsius. Then I decided to try one last chance ... I bought a watercooler Corsair H55 and a video adapter NZXT Kraken G10. I put the watercooler in my r9 290. Believe it or not this solved the problem in my case.

Today I have 02 PCs, one with a R9 290 and other with a R9 390 and both have watercooler Corsair H55.

I hope this solution works for others as well.