7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 11:20 PM by bearcat22

3DMark Time Spy tested: We pit Radeon vs. GeForce in this new DX12 benchmark

kingfish

Today, Futuremark released its new Time Spy benchmark for the 3DMark suite, which is loaded with DirectX 12 features to put graphics cards to the next-gen test.

3DMark Time Spy tested: We pit Radeon vs. GeForce in this major new DX12 benchmark | PCWorld

• Re: 3DMark Time Spy tested: We pit Radeon vs. GeForce in this new DX12 benchmark
          brucer

My Time Spy runs, default settings. So sad they are using a $1000 cpu and cant get any better than that..

overclocked fx8350@4.5ghz with rx480@1350/2200 all air cooled, 2560/1080 monitor

ts1.JPG

I5-6600k@4.5ghz with Zotac1070@2088/2100  all air cooled   32" 2560x1440 monitor.

ts2.JPG

• Re: 3DMark Time Spy tested: We pit Radeon vs. GeForce in this new DX12 benchmark
            black_zion

I wish someone in the RTG would code the drivers to where if any Futuremark program is run, the card would use its lowest power state and override the fan setting to run at 100%. It's time artificial "benchmarks" were killed.

bearcat22

I agree. Getting tired of hearing how these artificial benchmarks are set up to favor one or another company. Or if the drivers used are optimized for that particular benchmark. Only time I find them useful is when your tweaking your system. And even then it's hard to really tell what's been improved.

brucer

How do you know they are?  Because one manufacturer says they are, or more fanboys say they are?  AMD was suppose to have been working with the futuremark devs to streamline the Time Spy benchmark the same as Nvidia was, so who dropped the ball, or what happened?  Someone else asked that in another post on here somewhere and I agree with him, but I bet AMD will never tell us anything about it, unless they are pointing fingers.  I like results, not excuses.

What I get tired of is hype, lies, smoke blowing and hot air, with no definitive results, or just more excuses.. Sounds kind of like Obama.

The 480 is a good card, but it has its shortcomings. I'm sure due to cost cutting to hit the price point they are at, which is fantastic.  The aib 480's might be interesting, but I also dont think they are going to be as fast as people are thinking they are going to be, unless they up the power phases, which will make the card cost a bit more and at that point, power hungry... I also dont care for Wattman much, the more I use it the more cluttered I find it, over complicated for overclocking.. Honestly I'm waiting on an Afterburner update to work with the 480 and I'll stop using Wattman.  What I have noticed from purchasing my first nvidia card in 12years is the install is exactly plug and play, no rebooting in safe mode and running DDU and having to reinstall drivers multiple times like I had to with Crimson drivers, and Wattman still crashes constantly..  You simply can not make a change in Wattman, close it, run a benchmark and reopen Wattman after the bench is ran, it simply will not do it, crashes every time..

I think amd should have targeted the 1070 performance first as I think thats the new mid range market now and the 480/1060 both actually being the lower to mid range now.... I feel amd is being left in the dust again, It's like nvidia knows every move amd is making and nvidia is one step ahead..

Where are all the mass quantities of the 480's that amd said were going to be available at launch? Its like amd is shooting themselves in the foot..

brucer

Thats why I usually run a loop of about 5-10minutes prior to running the benchmark, I like my gpu's warmed up...

The 1070 runs at 65c flat out with that overclock on it, and its undervolted, I've ran the 1070 higher than that reliably, I'm thinking I might watercool it in the future and turn it up. These Zotacs are pretty good cards..

The 480 is at max power setting, with my custom 7870 dual-x fan setup on the 480 is running at 1500-3000rpm fan speed with target temp at 75c.. The memory is actually undervolted, I could run it at 1400/2200 but right now I'm gaming at the 1350/2200 so I ran it there.. When I get my heat sinks in I'm going to try to go as high as I can on the 480 oc.. I'm thinking I can get over 1400/2200 without a bios mod. I wish I had another I5-6600k or I7-6700k to put the 480 in to try it and see how big a difference an intel cpu makes, I know its quite a bit compared to the old fx8350 and its architecture.