4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 12:45 AM by ascreibd

FX 4170. Freeze, hang, lockup. Must hard reset (reboot) to get num lock to turn on/off. PSU fine, memtest ram fine, gtx 650 decent, graphics driver latest, bios for that um MSI 990fxa gd 80 v2 is 13.5. What else. Oh yeah disabled cores 3 and 4 in bios vir

ascreibd

Hello

At my ropes end with this one, although I have a sort of got it solution but not completely.

PSU fine, memtest ram fine, gtx 650 decent, graphics driver latest (3.618 or something) and many previous versions as well, bios for that um MSI 990fxa gd 80 v2 is 13.5. What else. Oh yeah disabled cores 3 and 4 in bios virtually eliminated the freeze issue. Now I'm talking idle, browsing the web, youtube, netflix. Games? Shoot dont get me started. This is what made me buy two new Hdd's, a new psu, a new graphics card. Have you sat there and waited for memtest; sheesh. I will trade this for my old athlon 3200+ any day. Except the world moved on and left it in the dust. Anyway any thoughts?... Seriously anything like man I got a supped op quad core that gets tired way too easy. My biggest question is why so much instability and complete freeze when all four cores are enabled. That has been the one setting that I keep trying to figure out. Enable four cores and overclock = freeze. Standard clock freeze. I understand that it's not a beast, but GTA 5 should run, while with less than ideal quality, it should run but it doesn't. Before GTA 5 it was Black ops 2. Kill Kill Kill almost to the end of the level and bam. Hit the reset button. Luckily I almost eliminated this problem. (I completed the campaign and zombies, and some multiplayer for BO2, as well as quite a few other games). But occasionally, boom, gotta stop now, needs some rest.

Any thoughts and similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to the community for letting me rant a bit...