1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 12, 2016 11:24 PM by waltc

Can't install driver

blacktyphon

Hello,

today I've received the message, that there is a new driver for my graphics card to install. After the question, if I want to start the installationprogram, an error appeared and told me the following (translated into english): "Could not find Bin64/InstallManagerApp.exe. Pls be sure that you have written the name correctly and repeat the process"

My PC:

-AMD Radeon R9 390 series

-Intel i5 6500 3.2Ghz

-16 GB DDR4 RAM

-Win10

My AMD driver version:

-16.15.2401-160415a-301527C (screenshot)

-Radeon software version: 16.4.2 (screenshot)

The new driver version:

-16.3.2 (WHQL)

I've added some screenshots of the "AMD settings program". I don't have any old drivers, because my PC is very new.

Well now I checked, if my driver is up to date with this tool, where it says it is: http://support.amd.com/de-de/download/auto-detect-tool  Thats why I am a bit confused now. My Radeon software version seems to be newer than this driver too (16.4.2>16.3.2).

I also had the Windows self check tool for a "clean install" running but there were no corrupted files on my Computer.

My question is now what i have to do and if this is really a new driver version (the auto detect tool said that my driver is up to date). By the way, what means WHQL?

My second problem is, that I can't play Counter Strike Global Offensive in 16:10 or 4:3 without having blackbars (can't stretch it). I've tried everything (scaling mode full panel, GPU-scale on etc) in the AMD settings to fix it without any success. Is there any way to fix this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings

Blacktyphon

• Re: Can't install driver
          waltc

I would advise anyone never, ever to use an "automatic installer program" for your device driver, whether it is a GPU, sound card or whatever the device is.  Learn what your device is and how to manually download and manually install the correct drivers--it takes the same amount of time but can also save huge amounts of time by allowing the user to correctly install the correct driver the first time around.

It appears that you own a discrete R9 390-class GPU; so you should download this driver:

This link came from this page:

Desktop

Here's how to install your AMD drivers:

How-To Install AMD Radeon Software on a Windows Based System

As I mentioned, there is one important caveat: ignore the following line, "Use the AMD Driver AutoDetect Utility to detect your AMD Radeon™ graphics card and Windows® operating system." Yes, ignore that.  Instead, learn for yourself what model AMD GPU you have bought and use. Memorize it--it's very easy to do.  The problem with autodetect software is that it is not nearly as smart as you are and so is heir to all kinds of silly mistakes that may cause the software to steer you to the wrong driver.

Last but not least, learn how to uninstall your AMD GPU driver software:

How-To Uninstall AMD Radeon Software from a Windows Based System

A good rule of thumb is to *never* ask a software program to do for you what you can accomplish much faster by doing it yourself...;)  Remember, in most cases (we hope), you are smarter than the software you use, so if software should pop up and tell you something you know is not true, then you are not obligated to do what it tells you to do. 

Good luck and I hope this helps! If somehow I have misconstrued your actual question then I'll apologize in advance...!