5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2016 10:04 AM by aurica

BSOD atikmpag.sys Windows 7

czb404

Hello!

I've run into a BSOD after accessing the BIOS then exiting without saving the changes, and I would like to ask the community for some help, since so far I had no luck finding a solution.

The error text is "An attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout has failed", and it seems the file 'atikmpag.sys' is at fault.

The Windows stop error code is '0x00000116'.

The system in question is a laptop, an ASUS G73JH-TZ008V, with a Mobility Radeon HD 5800 series graphics card and an Intel Core i7 720QM CPU. It has 8 GB of RAM and is running a Windows 7 64 bit OS.

I've since tried to reinstall the graphics driver (the latest legacy Crimson (16.2.1 Beta) and then the legacy Catalyst version (15.7.1)), then install the graphics driver recommended by the laptop manufacturer (8.683). The manufacturer recommended driver resulted in a slightly different BSOD, blaming the file 'atikmdag.sys'.

I also tried the EXPAND.EXE method, manually expanding the 'atikmpag.sy_' and 'atikmdag.sy_' files before making the first restart after a driver install, it had no effect.

I also tried resetting the BIOS settings, with the same results.

Lastly I tried using the DDU to clean out the drivers after uninstalling, but it had no effect either.

Below I'm posting links to the crashdump files:

071216-12370-01.dmp

WER-20514-0.sysdata.xml

UPDATE: I've edited the text to reflect the CPU, OS version and RAM amount. I have already described the make and model of the laptop and the graphics card inside, and the way the issue presented itself. Since this is a laptop, I believe listing the motherboard, etc. isn't necessary.