2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 7:02 PM by had_rx

Cannot play videos with RX 480 on Ubuntu 16.04

had_rx

Hi,

I am using the amdgpu-pro driver:

~$ dpkg -l amdgpu-pro Souhait=inconnU/Installé/suppRimé/Purgé/H=à garder | État=Non/Installé/fichier-Config/dépaqUeté/échec-conFig/H=semi-installé/W=attend-traitement-déclenchements |/ Err?=(aucune)/besoin Réinstallation (État,Err: majuscule=mauvais) ||/ Nom                           Version             Architecture        Description +++-=============================-===================-===================-=============================================================== ii  amdgpu-pro                    16.30.3-306809      amd64               This package install all amdgpu-pro components.

But I cannot play videos with the default video player on Ubuntu (based on Totem). The sound plays correctly but the window stays black. I ran totem from a terminal and I get those errors:

~$ totem  (totem:5777): Cogl-WARNING **: Shader compilation failed: Vertex shader failed to compile with the following errors: ERROR: error(#271) Explicit version number 120 not supported by GL3 forward compatible context ERROR: error(#273) 1 compilation errors.  No code generated    (totem:5777): Cogl-WARNING **: Shader compilation failed: Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors: ERROR: error(#271) Explicit version number 120 not supported by GL3 forward compatible context ERROR: error(#273) 1 compilation errors.  No code generated    (totem:5777): Cogl-WARNING **: Failed to link GLSL program: Vertex and Fragment shader(s) were not successfully compiled before glLinkProgram() was called.  Link failed.     (totem:5777): Cogl-WARNING **: driver/gl/cogl-pipeline-progend-glsl.c:796: GL error (1282): Invalid operation   (totem:5777): Cogl-WARNING **: driver/gl/cogl-pipeline-progend-glsl.c:819: GL error (1282): Invalid operation   (totem:5777): Cogl-WARNING **: driver/gl/cogl-pipeline-progend-glsl.c:823: GL error (1282): Invalid operation   (totem:5777): Cogl-WARNING **: driver/gl/cogl-pipeline-progend-glsl.c:827: GL error (1282): Invalid operation

And If I use VLC, it crashes immediately.

Is there anything I can do to be able to play videos again on my computer?

• Re: Cannot play videos with RX 480 on Ubuntu 16.04
          cyberider

AMD recommends/asks that you install the driver NOT in the normal way that you did it using dpkg. Instead they want you to use their install script, which only runs correctly when called from that scripts parent directory. Go back to where you extracted the download file and run "sudo amdgpu-pro-driver/amdgpu-pro-install".

• Re: Cannot play videos with RX 480 on Ubuntu 16.04
              had_rx

Hi cyberider, thanks for the answer.

I actually installed the driver with the AMD shell script. For Totem at least I think I am facing a specific problem of that video player:

Totem uses an OpenGL helper library called "cogl". In that library, there is an incompatibility between the shader version and the OpenGL context. Some drivers accept that (it was the case of Mesa for my older graphics card) but the amdgpu-pro does not. Several attempts to fix the problem in "cogl" exist since 2015 but so far no definitive solution was adopted.

For VLC, I still have no clue. It looks like I will have to dive into the code, but I've always been having problems with VLC on my system (that's why I was using Totem in the first place).

I installed another video player called "mpv Media Player" and it has been working very well so far with the amdgpu-pro driver.