3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 8:23 AM by lazarj

Can't install drivers; Driver problems; Games not working

lazarj

I have some problems with my card (r9 390). Some games freeze, and my screen turns black while playing others.

On top of that, I can't install AMD drivers. I've tried downloading them from the site and using AMD Radeon Settings to download new drivers but it's not working. I either get an error message or nothing happens. I'm currently using 16.3.2.

PC Specs:

CPU- i5 4460

GPU- MSI R9 390

RAM: 8Gb

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 730W

Edit: I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

• Re: Can't install drivers; Driver problems; Games not working
          amdmatt

I'd like you to try a system clean up and a fresh installation of 16.7.2, to see if it resolves the issue. If you are running the AMD Gaming Evolved APP, please disable it as there is a know issue which cause some games to crash while it is enabled.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.7.2 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

lazarj

I don't have AMD Gaming Evolved installed. Windows self check tool didn't detect any errors. I repaired NetFramework and Microsoft Visual C++. I installed all the Windows updates. And then when I installed DDU, it asked me to restart the computer in Safe Mode, so I clicked on that. Every time my computer booted up, it would immediately restart. It wouldn't let me enter the password or start Windows normally. I took the computer to maintenance and they said there's nothing they can do except install a fresh version of Windows.

So now I have a fresh version of Windows. I'll install some games and maybe new drivers (I currently have AMD Catalyst 15.15) to see if the problem still occurs.

lazarj

I tried playing games with 15.15... and it was really bad. So I installed 16.7.2 and everything seems to work... for now.