10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 6:26 PM by sandlfea

Crossfire RX 480 8GB Freezing Under Load

sandlfea

I know there has been issues with the new RX 480 cards with too much power draw. I am currently experiencing the following issue. I have crossfired two PowerColor Radeon RX 480 8GB cards in my PC. After numerous hours last night of troubleshooting, changing some things, removing and re-installing drivers, nothing has changed or really helped. It seems when I run a high demanding load like Heaven Benchmark or Siege Benchmark while Crossfire the computer will make a pop noise through the speakers and freeze or Ill get a blue screen of death, which I have to hard restart from the tower. I also have the Power Efficiency set to on, under the control panel for Radeon.

My current set up is:

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R.2 M.B. (latest BIOS drivers updated)

AMD FX-4350 4.2 GHZ Processor (Not overclocked)

Corsair TX750M - 750 Watt Power Supply

Arctic Freezer CPU Cooler

16 GB DDR3 Memory

250 GB Samsung SSD with 1 TB SATA HD

Windows 7, Service Pack 1 (recently new format install onto SSD)

Crossfire PowerColor Radeon RX 480 8GB with drivers 16.7.1

Dual Samsung 27" 1080p monitors (one using HDMI - HDMI, other D-Port - HDMI)

I had the PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 graphics card before and had no issues what so ever.

I also removed one of the cards and ran a benchmark with no problems, no freezing or anything, but as soon as I Crossfire I run into issues.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated, my buddy who is an IT guru is stumped as well!

• Re: Crossfire RX 480 8GB Freezing Under Load
          kris81

Might sound like power-issues. Do you have the excact model of your power supply?
          Also, what temperatures are you getting on the cards?

Edit :
          Same PSU as I have myself. I could never get RX480 crossfire to work due to driver flaws.

sandlfea

We were both thinking it was a power issue as well, the main card was running around 46 degrees Celsius, the secondary around 34 degrees Celsius.

Here is the exact one

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance Power Supply            

Not sure the link will work, but CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance…

I have one of these coming in today for my buddies build, but I believe it has the same power specs. CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply ; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040

sandlfea

Well, I just read, which I wasn't able to find yesterday...... Recommended PSU 500 watts. So if one card is recommended at 500 watts, a 750 watt PSU isn't going to work, which is causing the voltage issues under full load while crossfire. So it seems I can either order a new PSU, question being is a 1000 watt PSU going to work or is that not going to be efficient enough, which would mean I will be spending another $240 for a 1250 watt PSU? OR Just run say screw it and run one RX 480 and sell the other?

brunosp

I think the processor can not handle. upgrade the processor to FX 8350

sandlfea

I don't think it's the processor. My friend has a friend that is crossfiring two RX 480 cards and he has a 850 watt PSU with no issues. kris81 You stated you weren't able to get it to work due to driver flaws. I am wondering if the power supply isn't strong enough? I started a ticket with AMD Support to see what they say. For the time being I removed the second card and am waiting for more updates.

kris81

Must be drivers in my case, after testing crossfire it was not possible to even get one card working. Still, my old gtx 770 works great.. Tried flashing bios, removing all drivers several times with DDU, you name it, I tried it. Cards would only run with a Windows basic display driver.

Den 9. jul. 2016 kl. 08.35 skrev sandlfea <amd-external@jiveon.com>:

Community

You have been mentioned

by sandlfea in Re: Crossfire RX 480 8GB Freezing Under Load in Community - View sandlfea's reference to you

I don't think it's the processor. My friend has a friend that is crossfiring two RX 480 cards and he has a 850 watt PSU with no issues. kris81 You stated you weren't able to get it to work due to driver flaws. I am wondering if the power supply isn't strong enough? I started a ticket with AMD Support to see what they say. For the time being I removed the second card and am waiting for more updates.

Participate in the conversation by replying to this email

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

>

derrickgott007

Total system draw on an FX8350 with 2 RX480's in Crossfire is only usually around 440w total.  There are a lot of benchmarks out there to show this.

cowtown62

If you have a overclocking utility disable ULPS in the settings. Restart. Also id set power efficiency to off as i've been told to do this when having issues with my crossfire 380X setup. What exactly is stopping you guys from crossfiring the cards is the option simply not there? it should be in your global options to crossfire the cards does this not appear? It doesnt always auto enable crossfire when there 2 gpus present. once its enabled it does stay enabled though.

as far as power consumption goes 2 RX 480's should easily run on a 750 watt bronze. I do recommend getting a gold or better when running a crossfire setup as its much more demanding then a single card. I got a 850 watt platinum to power my 2 380X that can consume as much as 225 watts each. Ive overclocked and overvolted to some pretty high levels never had a issue with power.

id also highly recommend upgrading to  8350 as that cpu is gonna struggle to keep up with your gpu power. Your gpu cant spit out x amount of frames without having the cpu prepare the frames for the gpu. the gpu will basically sit there waiting unutilized to the cpu is finished the frame. in most cpu bound titles you will find your fps in the dumps sometimes at intense scenes.

sandlfea

Today, I started to run into numerous issues with blue screens and locking up, so I decided to start from a clean slate. I re-formatted my SSD and installed Windows 7 Pro, with Service Pack 1 update. I also updated all the drivers to the latest edition. I have a new power supply on the way, which will be here tomorrow,  a 1000 watt bronze PSU crossfire ready.

In regards to the CPU, you're not the first to say this and how you explain it makes sense. I'll keep you all updated.

sandlfea

So I installed the 1000 watt PSU today and ran a Heaven benchmark, I am pleased to report that the cards are in crossfire and the computer did not freeze. So it seems these cards are very power hungry! A 750 watt PSU did not work in this case. I will be upgrading the CPU in the months to come!