41 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 5:12 PM by hardcoregames™

Rx 480 rebooting computer under any moderate graphic load.

thecamelman79
      So by this point in the game I'm sure everyone is just goingt o tell me i have a cheap mother board and i have to wait for AMD to realease a driver patch but i thought i would try anoy ways incase anyone else had some bright ideas becuase waiting around to play with my brand new toy sitttiing in my rig is absolute torture.

I got my card yesterday and quickly benchmarked my gtx 950 using Valley Benchmark since it was installed on my rig and would give me a quick fair comparision bewtween the two cards. I then ran Shadow of Mordor's benmark and Ashs of singularity for it's DX12 comparision. With current benchmarks in hand of my gtx950 i anxouisly took the side window off my rig and swapped out the cards. My first boot up attemt ended up in a lock up and did a hard reset to fix.....not a big deal....then off to AMD's web site to install the latestest 16.6.2 driver package. All installed, rebooted, and ready to go I was drooling with anticipation ready to see the new FPS scores fly across the screen, and fly the did........for about 10 seconds.......then black screen......beep....and splash screen...reboot......this was to be my life for the next 3-4 hours as i am not one to give up so easliy and i tried every setting i could think of and every lower demanding game i had....heck sims 4 crashed on me after about 2 mins of game play and my daugther plays that on her rig with a gts9800.....    To be honest and fair i know nothing about AMD cards this is my first one so any tips or settings that can be change i would greatly appreciate. I've always had green team cards but considering this is a FX 8350 rig i thought is would be cool to get a red team card to go with it and save the $150 over the 1070...but now im not so sure, especially if i have to gimp it in their prosed patch to make it work...Any help or ideas are appreciated

Sincerly

Lost with broken Toys

FX 8350 4 ghz no-o.c.

Corsair Water Cooler

Gigabyte 970A DS3P Rev 2 bios F2J

600 Watt Raidmax PSU

8 gb Gskill

Computer.jpg

• Re: Rx 480 rebooting computer under any moderate graphic load.
          black_zion

Your motherboard isn't the problem, that "600 Watt Raidmax PSU" is your problem. What is the make and model of it, as if it is the RAIDMAX Cobra RX-600AF-B it's only a 456w unit (12v × 38A =456w, 3.3 and 5v supply are depreciated greatly.) You're going to have the same problem with any mid range to high end graphics card.

thecamelman79

Well Crap man.......what do i do now i guess but to look at dumping a $100 bucks i dont have laying around into a new modular power supply,,,,and yes its got to be modular i have a very clean case and it needs to stay that way,,,,,,,,,, thanks i guess, but Jesus freaking Jimming cricket man.....

hellangel

Your PSU is really bad. Multi-rail

thecamelman79

Well I went ahead and bought and installed the evga supernova gold fully modular power supply for $30 that he had and that seems to have solved to rebooting problem. Now i just  get a different error, or crash on just about every game or bench i run. heck Ash of the Singulity gives me a BSOD saying "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (atikmdag.sys)" ; Valley bench mark keeps booting me out to the window screen yet the music still runs and locks up forcing me to reboot; Grand theft auto has a message the says failed intialation please try again and reboot. followed by this application has quit working ,,,,, and the list goes on with the majority of my program .......I all ready uninstalled all the AMD driver's and reinstalled making sure all my antivirius were off during the install...what next?

brucer

I would go to control panel/add remove programs and uninstall amd install manager, boot up in safe mode, run ddu, reboot and reinstall latest drivers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        thecamelman79

We your idea seems to have works perfectly. I would of replied sooner but i've been kinda engrossed in playing the witcher 3 all over again this time in a ultra (ever setting maxed out) and fraps reporting around 48-56 fps sometime lower but who cares all in 1080p .... If you're looking for a new card that handles everything in 1080 and your on a budget I am defiantly happy with this card (now that it's finally working that is) i've attached some screen shots using Fraps of my games that didn't have built in benchmarks and shots of the benchmark results of a few that did. Note I turned every setting up all the way possible for every game so while some live GTAV dip below 30's it easily climbs back up to the 50's and 60's when you turn AA back to something reasonable like 4x which at 1080 I don't think you can actually see a difference anyway's.  Also note these screen shots are taken with the optional "power efficacy" and "compatibility mode" tabs turned on both which reduce performance of the card but lower voltage to the PCIE slot ....so take that in mind....i'm running it that way even though i did try it with those tabs off and it seemed fine I figured if the card is already running all my current games just fine for my standards then why would I want to push those components harder... instead I'll save those tabs for a few years when the card feels like it's starting to lag behind.

BlackOps3 2016-07-11 15-48-35-51.jpg

COD 3 Black Opps

pCARS 2016-07-11 15-30-48-81.jpg

Project Cars

BatmanAK 2016-07-11 13-57-12-61.jpg

Arkam Knight

GTA5 2016-07-11 14-03-49-01.jpg

GTAV

Ashes of the singularity.jpg

Ashs of the Singularity DX12

valley 2016-07-11 13-32-26-14.jpg

Valley BM

valley 2016-07-11 13-32-37-20.jpg

Valley  BM

witcher3 2016-07-11 13-27-53-01.jpg

Witcher 3

ShooterGame 2016-07-11 16-14-26-26.jpg

Even Ark on Epic settings was completly playable.....if you consider the game it self playable...hehe...it just looks so pretty though.

brucer

Now I would try turning off the compatibility setting and see how it acts.  If it works ok with compatibility off, I would then turn up the power limit.

Your motherboard can handle it, thats a good motherboard, and that evga is a high quality psu..

thecamelman79

really? i figured having those two options on would be like having a Rev-limiter on a sports car and in a way i'd just be protecting my engine , and if i was keeping up with track speed with them on what would be the point in taking them off besides dumping more voltage and heat through my card and board (which correct me if im wrong) would only serve to shorten component lifespan.

brucer

check your temps now, then disable the compatibility and check your temperatures..  then do the same with the power limit....

Your correct about keeping it cool, it will increase its lifespan usually..

You can also undervolt and overclock the core frequency on these cards and they run quite a bit better and a little cooler..

thecamelman79

Ok so update here:

Everthing was just cotton candy dandy for a few days for sure i can confirm, as after i got everything sorted out I binged on the Witcher 3 on ultra settings with HD retexture packs i got off nexusmods for hours on end for 2 days straight with absoulty no issues.

Then real life caught back up with me for a bit and I didn't play again till last night. Well last night is started rebooting on me after anywhere from 15-45 min of play time.  I tried undervolting the card to power state 6 1050 / power state 7 1090 +25% power with no benifeit.  I also tried switching the plugs on my power supply from gpu-1 to gpu-3 thinking maybe i had weaken something in there, but that didn't help either. The only thing beyond my control I know that has changed diffently is windows did have a pretty big update a few days ago. So any ideas ?  I'm really deveolping a love hate relationship with this RX 480 granted the power supply issue i first had was not it's fault, but still.

brucer

I would try to locate another psu for testing purposes, just to rule that out.. I know the evga supernova is a good psu, but it is used.  Check and see if the fan is coming on inside the psu.

Thats an awful good psu for $30..

thecamelman79

I just verified the fan is coming on inside. (don't ask me how )  ever stick your finger in a ceiling fan? I agree i was an awful too good to be true price for the unit but he was selling half a dozen other things real cheap also and said he had just done a bunch of upgrading so the story kinda made since....i guess...maybe i got screwed i dont know.. unfortunatley i dont have acess to another power supply unless i buy one of course kinda defeating the purpose... but i do have a multi meter and the abitly to read it.... would it do any good to take readings from the ends of the cables? would that tell me anything or is there more to it than that?

on the power supply fan though it may be my imagination but it seems to have more air blowing into the case than out the back of the box. Is it possible the fan rotation is backwards?

tarot

load up the latest gpuz

that should give you the power draw but only the total(and not entirely accurate but good enough for this)

throw the multimeter on the end of a molex 12volt

load the card up 3dmark whatever.

watch(maybe even record) what the readings say.

if the 12v droops massively then you have an issue.

make sure you have the 16.72 drivers in and set to compatibility in the global settings for power and see how that goes.

it is possible windows updated your drivers but i highly doubt it.

worse case is the motherboard pcie slot is not handling the draw.

thecamelman79

I did like you said and updated to GPU-Z 1.9 (didn't relize how bad outof date mine was) and with compatiabilty mode and power effiecy modes turned on it was between 85-115 watts .... turned off it went  up between 90-125 watts....  I kept the multi meter on during both test hoping to see some changes so explain it but only a hundredth of a volt or so, just stayed steady att 12.026 vdc.....  

At any rate i texted the guy i got the power supply from and he had never regerstered it with evga and since he bought it on new egg it wasn't a huge deal for him i guess and he sent me the invoice so i could complete the registration. After talking with EVGA they think it's the card but they stand behind there product and have agreed to a "no cost" RMA of the power supply brick (got to love EVGA) so at bare minium i can eliminate it as a possible culprit. Got to give props to the guy i bought it from too....he absolutley didn't have to help me get the warrenty stuff today either...he sounded really suprised that i was having trouble with it.

In the mean time i straped a 60mm pc fan to the back of the power supply with some zip ties exhuasting out and wired it to a 12volt molex connector, just incase that thing is getting to hot every 30 mins and thats why it's rebooting...maybe it will save me a reboot or two in the next few days till the new power supply comes....

brucer

I would almost bet its the gpu now. being youve ran two different psu's on it.  I guess you'll find out, evga will likely test the psu under load to verify it and either replace it or send it back to you..

like you say, either way you'll find out likely what the issue is.

have you tried the gpu in one of the other pcie slots?

thecamelman79

Well what ever it is it's getting worse now...... i just rebooted into safe mode and ran Display driver unistaller to install the lastest 16.7.2 hotfix that was realeased on the 19th on the odd chance that just maybe the last windows update was playing some role in this and not 30 seconds after my reboot another crash..... thats the 3rd or 4th time now it's crashed to reboot even with out a graphic load.....something very weird is going on here and it's starting to erk me....  it was one thing to crash when i was pplaying hard core games, but now just when ever the flip it feels like it? how the hell am i suposed to diagose that?

I dont think i have to worry about EVGA testing and returning the PSU to me.... they said the unit quailfied for their "Adavanced RMA Program" and the are sending me the replacement in a box with a return label sticker, and i just take out the new and put in the old, and slap the sticker on, and back in the mail she goes.

brucer

Thats cool for evga standing behind their product like that, thats why I like them..  might just wait for the psu and see whats up after that..

thecamelman79

Well just too be sure i covered all my bases while i waited around I downloaded and ran 2 passes of memtest86 V4.86 for an hour on my ram and it passed fine.  I used cpu-z to stress test my cpu for 30 mins and monitored the temps with HWmonitor never got above 50C' with my water block (thinking maybe it was my cpu over heating for a second but no.) checked all my drivers to make sure they were al WQML certified.... and finished a completed malwarebyte scan for viruses and now going to run a Kasperkey just to be sure....

Wanted to elimated those other possible ideas just incase i was barking up the wrong tree....but knock on wood during all that it hasn't rebooted on me... only leaves the graphic card and PSU as possiblites...i really hope it is the PSU.... XFX Web site and RMA didn't strike me as to accomidating...got a bad taste in my mouth when i first found out i had an issue and discovered the was no customer service phone number to be found! Then the response i got from there tech suport email was rather lack luster and how i eventualy found my self to this forum.

thecamelman79

Well it's definately the power supply ...today I took my power supply out and over to a friends rig and swapped into his rig...fired up fire strike and not a minute into it his rig rebooted....good to finally have a definitive answer, but sad to know nothing i can do to fix it at the same time. Just gonna have to wait on the RMA from EVGA.

We tested his power supply under load at the Molex plug also for shifts and giggles....his was rock steady at 12.19 to 12.18 even unload.... mine was 12.26  and dipped to 12.10-12.16  hard to believe a tenth of a volt variation at load is all it takes to point towards an issue which might be why i missed it the first time, but there it is. Cant argue with the fact that when i put the power supply in his rig and fire up fire strike it reboots......live and learn...

thecamelman79

ok i just tore to PSU apart and verified it is spining the right direction. i guess it's just bouncing around in there and back out and not really exhuasting out the back like my other one used to. I mean it does a little....just not like a hair dyrer like the other one did.

brucer

I'd also like to compliment you on your build, its nice and clean..  What case is that, I see it is a raidmax now, how was it to build in?

thecamelman79

Like you said it's definatly a raidmax...i think "Sagitta"  would be the model.....it's hard to tell as i'm not the original owner but i do know the orginal rig in it was a AMD antholon 64 dual core 6000 and had the Original Corshair Republic of Gamers mother board in it and bios booted up to 2005 so the rig was just over 10 years old.  I heavly modified the whole thing, new spray paint inside and out,  the right hand side was typical full of drive bays and such and i cut out all but what i need making room for 2 140mm fans one pushing and one pulling. Added grills inliu of the expasion bay covers for air flow. Added air filters. Put a fish tank mirror acrossed the back to add depth to the case and hide cable management. Added another exhuasted fan directly below the graphic card where the additional slots go and most people never use. used the filter fabric like carpet on one the floor of the case for more cable managment and asthetics. used crhome motor cycle gastank trim to edge out half a dozen little places in the case for a little bling.   then took a HD TV removable stand from 55'' tv ...acouple of 2x2's and 1' 1/2'' bed frame painted it all black and made a stand for the whole box to sit 8" off my desk.......   yep... i was bored looking for a project and it was fun to do....    I just got my son a new rig for his birthday....  and to be honest it was kinda sad putting it together becuase it was to easy to do....everthing fit just like it was suposed to...so challenge or creativitvy......    i on the other hand can honestly say may comupter has xbox360 parts in it, among other asorted electronics i tore apart to build my box...

tarot

sorry psu has to go but you do not need a lot to fix it as mentioned above.

your fx 8350 draws enough through in a max of around 180 watts from the video card and that power supply will not only struggle it will melt, plus you have a greater risk of damaging the board by the card trying to force more power through the pcie slot to compensate.

rule one building a computer do NOT skimp on the psu....even if you have to build the computer in a cardboard box

now someone mentioned the corsair I have the tx 750 not a huge step up from the cx and it powers a an overclocked waterecooled fx 6300 as well as 5 hard drives and a watercooled 290x which pulls a lot more juice than the rx 480....so I am confident the cx should handle that load easily.

infiltrator

I have same problem with my RX 480, just purchased, never worked on graphic load.

My PSU model is Cougar 750 CM, total output 750w, should be enough no?

Tried different cables, different slots on PSU (8-pin of course), nothing helped.

My specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700

Memory: 2x Kingston HyperX KHX2400C15/8G

I did a power calculation with all the specs, and it showed that I had more than enough to run this Video Card.