7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2016 5:41 AM by winstone

amd fx 9590 freezing my pc

7os

so i had a new pc with RX 480 and amd fx 9590 with the liquid cooler that was bundled with and gigabyte GA-990FXA ud3 r5 and while i play any game my pc freeze because of the overheating from the CPU and it's liquid cooler so what should i do?? i made everything to make the room cool and opened the case to make a better airflow but it wasn't enough for the CPU

• Re: amd fx 9590 freezing my pc
          black_zion

What is the CPU core temperature when it freezes (use CoreTemp or AIDA64)?

7os

well it's over 85C since i tried to play just cause 2 for like 5 mins and the maximum temperature for the processor was 83C and the witcher 1 for the first 5 mins was 85C so i it's over 85C

black_zion

Assuming the 85°C is the core temperature, which I highly doubt because AMD CPUs will get unstable in the upper 60s, either A) your liquid cooler is insufficient, not all of them can handle that processor (for example, the Corsair H60), B) your installation of the cooler is incorrect, or C) the cooler is defective.

techguy

The FX-9590 CPUs have a 220w TDP which requires almost twice the CPU cooling and VRM power of the standard FX-8000 125w model CPUs. If the CPU internal core temp is above 61C under heavy load, then you will need better CPU cooling and/or better airflow thru the PC case. You may also have issues with the VRM overheating if the airflow across the VRM circuit isn't significant.

You can use an applet like OCCT to record the CPU internal temp, frequency, vcore, etc. to try to determine the cause of the freezing. Your PSU needs to provide at least 55 amps. on the 12v rail to properly power your PC with the FX-9590 and RX 480. GPU driver and memory issues can also cause freezing. You can check the RAM with memtest86+ V5 or later run overnight.

BTW, there are 10+ "FX-9590 freezing" threads here that should have come up when you posted your question. These threads contain almost all known FX-9590 freezing issues including how to diagnose what is causing the freezing and how to fix whatever the actual problem is. There is a wealth of info. in these threads to assist everyone with an FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPU.

7os

it becomes above 61C with no heavy load and it reached 85C for playing the witcher 1 for 5 mins

techguy

It does not sound like you are reading the CPU internal core temp as the CPU is programmed internally to throttle the CPU at ~70C and completely shut the CPU down if the internal temp reaches 80C. Yu may be reading the "CPU temp" which is actually the CPU socket, not the internal CPU temp. Core temp, AIDA64, HWiNFO and OCCT should show you the CPU internal temp though the name they use can vary.

winstone

Hello, I'm french done 1 year that Ihave this freeze problem what happens on Windows 1, and I find the problem of this processor fx9590 to disable the turbo cœur heart and everything works normally