13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2016 1:58 AM by _brave_

Rx 480 problem

karlo.slika

Hi guys I have  problem after  playing  game and  all open applications freeze and writes not respoding when reset PC and re-start it and open amd settings writes me Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure, and when i in game i have frame drop . I reinstal driver but that did not help , and this error  Radeon settings: Host application has stopped working

My pc: xfx rx 480, i5 6400 , asus h110m-k, Windows 10 64 bit

Edit: When i instal new drivers 16.17.1 i come on in game and my game "crash" Display drivers stopped respoding and has recovered . Display driver amd drivers stopped responding and has successfully recovered does anyone know how to solve my problem.

• Re: Rx 480 problem
          theacclaimed

Was this an upgrade from a previous AMD graphics card. Sometimes the driver update can cause some issues if the previous one isn't removed. In most cases it is not necessary to uninstall the previous driver prior to upgrading but it can help prevent issues like this. I recommend using DDU (Direct Driver Uninstaller) to remove the drivers completely then reinstall 16.7.1.

karlo.slika

I whit DDU unistal 16.7.1 and instal again same drivers 16.7.1 and i play maybe 1 hour maybe 2 and my game frozen. After reset pc open amd setting and notification Default Radeon settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure. I really do not know what the problem is I've tried various tests of stability and it's all right. Really starting to be frustrated because they can not relax and play

falconic

Same problem
              Appears for me a green screen of death and I need to reset my PC completely. The Radeon app notify me with the error: Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure. So bad...

Card name: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380X

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor

Mother Board: M5a97 EVO R2.0

edgarhall

i have the same problem, in assassins creed syndicate screen frozens after 30 minutes and violent my computer restars

nevex

Same problem frozens in games

p6tu

Hello,

So this is a frustrating problem indeed. I bought a GigaByte AMD RX-480 G1 8GB Gaming version and for the past two weeks that I've been messing around with this card, I have not been able to succeed to play any game with ease. I haven't seen any BSOD, but I do have the green, gray and black screen of death without any text. There is also the annoying loop of the last sound, when the PC crashes. My only option is to do a hard reset for the PC and after that I see a message as the OP: "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restore due to unexpected system failure."

Aboud my PC:

PSU: Chieftech Navitas GPM-850C

MB: GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 R5

CPU: AMD FX 8350

GPU: GigaByte Radeon RX-480 G1 Gaming 8GB

RAM: 2 x HyperX 1600Mhz + 2 x HyperX 1800Mhz

Things that I'd like to note:

After 16.10.## driver update, GigaByte GPU FW update I have managed to keep the system a little bit more stable, but still with more demanding games like GTA V, the system crashes in less than 10 minutes.

Turning on MSAA in any game ensures, that it will crash eventually and besides that an immense lag comes along with turning on any MSAA setting.

Reducing the screen resolution in games to 1280x720 (or allowing any game to benchmark the GPU and automatically set the best settings - results in lower resolutions than FHD (1920x1080)), then I can play around 30 minutes before crashing the PC.

Questions to the community:

1. Is there a workaround for the problem?

2. When is it expected to get fixed?

3. Are there many different problems or is it one big problem and has AMD acknowledged the issue (I'm not the only one with this problem)?

catchabreak

give the cards a higher min and higher target speed, here's a link particularly relevant to the Gigabyte card GIGABYTE RX 480 G1 GAMING - So HOT!! Literally... - YouTube. Fan curves don't take into account Voltage-Regulators, Video-Ram temperatures or any other components on the graphics card so low fan speeds can result in freezes/lockups or driver failures. I don't know what cards people had originally in there systems but this card can draw up to 150Watts of power so can significantly increase heat in there case. I had  a HD7770 that would lift the temperature inside one particular case to such an extent the motherboard would shut down within 5 Minutes.

p6tu

Hello catchabreak,

I previously had GigaByte R9 290 and sold the card to do an upgrade. The R9 290 was giving me more stable and better performance than the RX 480 and it never crashed.

Now to force the RX 480 card to work at full load - that is not something that I was thinking of and is something that I would not want to do. I don't like to have my GPU fans running at 100% all the time.

I, myself, think that the issue is with the new chipset.

I'd like to know, if this issue is being addressed and what is the estimated fix time to the issue...

With best regards,

mob30

Hello I have that same problem with Gigabite RX480 8 Gb.

Here is solution for me.

Снимок.JPGСнимок1.JPGСнимок3.JPG