4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 10:45 AM by ondai

Computer freezes while gaming then fails to boot

ondai

Okay so here is everything I know:

Issue overview: Everything is running normally while playing a certain game and then suddenly the image completely freezes, alt+f4/alt+tab/ctrl+alt+del etc DO NOT WORK after that the only thing I can do is a manual restart/shut down. If I restart the pc, it shuts down regardless (so far this has happened a couple of times with normal restarts as well, especially when installing new drivers). Okay so whatever the case, my pc ends up turned off, then if I try to power it back up right away it will fail to boot after really loud fan noise. (probably from the power supply, I haven't tried "safe mode" but my screen doesn't have time to light up in this case so is it even possible?). So I have to wait for some time (10-20 mins) and then try to boot up, the noise is still really loud while booting, but the boot does succeed and then everything runs normally.

-THIS ISSUE HAS ONLY APPEARED WHILE PLAYING THE FOLLOWING TITLES: PARAGON, PALADINS and OVERWATCH-

Info on my pc:

CPU: AMD Athlon 860K quad core

GPU: AMD RADEON R7 370 POWERCOLOR

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE F2A88XM-DS2 (the PCI-E ports on this board might be a good place to start)

POWER: LC600H-12 V2.31

MEMORY: sata3 240gb silicon power s80 550/500 MB/s (games are located here) + 500 GB Hard drive

RAM: 2 x 4GB

DRIVERS: Crimson edition 16.5.2.1 (installed WITH A CLEAN INSTALL, updating would cause the issues to worsen)
      IF ANY ADDITIONAL INFO IS REQUIRED PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO ASK

Thank you in advance for your help guys

• Re: Computer freezes while gaming then fails to boot
          amdmatt

It sounds like something could be overheating, or a hardware component is beginning to fail. From what you have described, i do not think this is a driver issue.

Please download HWINFO64 and monitor CPU and GPU temperatures.

I would recommend removing the side panel of your case so that we can determine which component is revving up when the issue occurs.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              ondai

Okay, so I never thought that overheating was the issue so I never bothered to check. Turns out there was quite a lot of dust in power supply so i dedusted my entire pc, I also reapplied the thermal paste on my cpu. After this I couldn't cause my pc to freeze even while playing the games that usually cause my pc to do so. Here are the highest results that I managed to achieve (while gaming)

Capture2.PNG

amdmatt

Glad to hear that has improved things, however your Motherboard VRMS are still running hot. Check the CPU Package temperature at 94c and peaking at 110c.

Is your CPU running at maximum, or near maximum frequency? You should be able to monitor this using HWINFO as well. I have circled the VRMS on your Motherboard, they do not have any heatsinks and i believe they are overheating.

I would recommend using a small fan to cool the VRMS, or investing in some heatsinks and a fan combination to cool them down.

Untitled.jpg

1 of 1 people found this helpful