7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 8:43 AM by yolandamarshall

Should I open this 480?

brucer

Think I should open this rx480.. I planned on replacing an old r9-290 in my backup rig with..

I'm having a hard time deciding.

20160706_122942.jpg

• Re: Should I open this 480?
          black_zion

The 290 and 480 have basically the same power, TomsHardware review shows an average of 6fps difference between them (as little as 0 and as much as 10) at 2560x1440, nothing which makes or breaks playability. The RX 480 is also selling for $275-$300 on eBay vs $90-$180 for the R9 290.

brucer

I thought it was 100watt tdp difference, msi website say 250w power consuption.. My 290 has a 6pin and 8 pin connector, the 480 has one 6pin... It's the msi 290 gaming and it runs a little on the warm side believe it or not..

My back up rig stays on pretty much 24/7 so I'm trying to make the old fx8350black as efficient as I can and still have decent performance..

I went ahead and opened the 480..

I wanted to update the older rig to make it a bit more efficient, I added a Seasonic gold rated psu a couple weeks ago, plus the 290 was like 4 years old.. Although the 290 has had a fairly easy life, it is still a solid 1080p card, 1440p it struggles...  I did raise the gpu clock up from time to time on the 290 but nothing major, like 1020mhz.. It still runs flawlessly.. I usually just used the msi app and ran it on the gaming setting at 975mhz

I got pretty much exactly the same between the two gpus, and the msi 290 was overclocked when I ran the tests, I took it to 1000mhz even for the comparison..I was kind of expecting that, I actually thought the 290 would edge out the 480 a bit, but it was so close you would have to call it a tie by the numbers, at least in valley and heaven and futuremark....  There is a big difference in picture quality though, the 480 has a more vibrant/crisp picture, and actually the 480 runs a little quieter.. The next thing is a newer case, define r5 or thermaltake supressor v31, or maybe a phantek enthoo pro m and swap all my new I5 stuff to the phantek and put the 8350/480 in the nzxt s340..

The nzxt is a nice cool running case, has great airflow and is actually very quiet.

I'm planning to sell my r9-290, hoping to get around $150 out of it..

When my Zotac 1070amp gets here later in the week I'm planning on selling the Sapphire Fury, taking that money and buying another Zotac 1070.

Who knows I might buy another 480 in the future to play with..   You thought I was all anti amd, or nvidia fanboy, I'm not, I am frustrated with the Fury I have, I think its an underperforming overpriced gpu and I think the driver support isnt there and that forced me to change to nvidia in my main rig.... I think amd dropped the ball with the fury, I seriously think AMD used the fury/furyx as a test platform for vega..

brucer

I also think amd dropped the ball on the 480, it could have been so much better and not cost much more.

brucer

I undervoted the snot out of the 480, like 50mv.

Wattman is pretty nice,I like it..

I'm going to wait for that driver update to try any overclocking.

brucer

I've managed to get my score to 9100 with some tweaking..

I need to work on a different cooling setup.. Its thermal throttling pretty bad and the stock cooler is not enough..

yolandamarshall

black_zion написал(а):

The 290 and 480 have basically the same power, TomsHardware review shows an average of 6fps difference between them (as little as 0 and as much as 10) at 2560x1440, nothing which makes or breaks playability. The RX 480 is also selling for $275-$300 on eBay vs $90-$180 for the R9 290.

Really cool answer) It's wonderful when people help each other with really working advice) P.S. Yep, brucer, I think you should open this 480.