17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 1:10 PM by jakeb96

drivers blocking internet

jakeb96

Since the 16.6.2 driver patch my internet has been shockingly bad, I normally get speeds of around 20mps; now I get 5. Browsing is horrendously slow, yet online games would be smooth and have no lag at all. At first I thought the driver had nothing to do with it, I scanned for viruses and malware nothing came up. Checked the dns, antennas on the back of my pc still nothing. After exhausting all known options I was forced to reset my windows (leaving all my files) but deleting all apps and software.

After completion of this my internet was back up to speed like normal; videos were buffering in high quality and at a fast rate, I started to reinstall software (anti-virus, steam etc), all downloading very quickly. As soon as I had to restart my pc to fully install the 16.6.2 driver my internet dropped again. Just to make sure, I uninstalled the driver, internet went up, So I decided to install the previous driver, again upon completion my internet slowed right down. It seems whenever I install a driver it restricts my bandwidth and slows my internet right down, I can't carry on .without a driver as my screen is huge. 

Nothing else was installed previously, I haven't changed any settings in radeon; this never occured before the 16.6.2 patch. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

• Re: drivers blocking internet
          speeder

Now that is interesting to know....

I have a internet load balancer, never gave any issue, for YEARS.

Last weeks it started to lock-up and kill the entire network of the building, this was all after I installed 16.6.1

Interestingly, last time it did that, was when the driver crashed during me trying to undervolt the card (to fix throttling). The driver crashed, and crashed the PC with it.

After I rebooted, no internet. (while immediately before the crash, I had internet).

And there it was, the load balancer had locked up, and I had to physically unplug it from the wall, and plug it again (something is hard to do, because the load balancer worked for YEARS without issue, it has been sitting in a niche that requires a ladder to be put in a precarious place to access, exactly to prevent easy physical access to our network equipment...)

I wonder if I can figure how to reproduce it (not during business hours!) to fill a proper bug report. Also if I can reproduce it, I would have found out what is my network issue (I've been trying for 2 weeks now figure what is wrong with the load balancer that started to freeze like that, I even checked it for viruses).

EDIT: for people curious, my load balancer is TPLink TL-R470T+ V3, setup for 2 "WAN" ports, one with a fiber optic connection, another with a coaxial cable connection, and on its "LAN" ports there is my computer, and a wireless server that spawns another network. When my AMD driver crashed, the wireless server was fine, only the load balancer itself that froze completely, the modems were fine too.

larsberntropbos

Since installing 16.6.2 for my 7700 on an MSI 770-C45 with a Phenom II X4 955 with 12 GB Ram and running W10 Pro x64, my internet connectivity is gone.  NONE. Writing this from a spare laptop.  Main computer will not resolve DNS, it will not even connect to my internet modem using an IP address.  Why o why would a DISPLAY DRIVER completely kill Internet connectivity.  It boggles the mind this piece of s--t has left the building.

Please post a manual of what was destroyed, and how to fix it, preferably without having to re-install all my apps .....

jakeb96

has anyone tried the new 16.3.2 driver to see if it sorts anything?

ray_m

Apart from the comments on this thread, we have received no other reports on this issue.

speeder

I believe most people wouldn't expect this.

For example I only noticed my case because I saw this thread, it would never click in my head that a GPU driver might be the cause of crashing my load balancer, I only am considering it now because of the timing (the load balancer worked fine for years, started crashing after I installed Crimson 16.6.1) and this thread.

If this thread were never made, I would never consider it.

That said, I will try to reproduce before I fill a bug report... But I did noticed that every time my GPU crash (for example if I intentionally crash it with overclocking tools, by undervolting it a lot) the internet at least slow down on my entire network.

I think I will install here wireshark and see if any AMD software is attempting to send data during crashes.

loadedaxe

Wow, came here by chance looking for any info on the RX 480 fix and found this, now I know why I keep getting disconnected from battle net. I never put 2 and 2 together...new RX 480, new amd driver install and now I cant stay online more than 20 minutes.

AMD, your killing your fan base.....Im growing very tired of all the issues with your products. I have 2 new RX 480s here that are paperweights as they keep BSOD on me. I even tried them in my other PC and they blue screen there. I put my R9 380 back in and no BSODs but I keep getting disconnected.

Your killing me!

Im installing my old 660Ti until they get this cleaned up, sending the 2 RX 480s back to NewEgg and filing a complaint with CC company to get my money back.

jakeb96

Are you able to connect to the internet but it's just very poor? It's strange it affects different users in different ways, I can game fine that runs smooth but my web browser is terrible

jakeb96

Have you found a way to sort this problem out yet? seems like a such waste after buying the 480. does installing a different gpu give you internet access back?

speeder

I am having this problem with a 380X, I don't think it is the GPU fault, I think it is a driver bug.

But I didn't had time to attempt to actually reproduce it accurately and make logs to give to AMD, as soon as I can I will do that and see if I can send a report that AMD engineers can study.

Also I don't have bitdefender, and I saw issues only when the driver crash, or when the driver recovered (hard to figure what part was what )

The worst symptom was when I crashed the entire computer with the driver:

I was trying to fix a bug in a game, decided to load the game in a debugger to see if I could track down the bug myself... but at the same time I was running Sapphire Trixx (due to fan problems when I don't), and RTSS+HWInfo64 to collect data. I forgot that I was running these, and when the debugger tried to examine the program, all the injections made it enter in some kind of infinite loop or something, and it crashed the entire GPU stack (Sapphire Trixx, RTSS, HWInfo, etc... all crashed, finally the driver itself crashed, the screen went black, and I had to reboot).

After the computer finished rebooting, I noticed I couldn't use the internet at all, and that my network main router froze.

The thing is: I don't know, if the router froze because of the crash, or because of the recovery after I rebooted the computer.

loadedaxe

With a AMD card and the latest driver, I still lose connectivity. I installed an old GTX 660Ti and nvidias latest driver and I have had no issues since.

I sent the 480s back and when the 1060s come out I am getting 2 of those. I am not trying to bash AMD, I hate nvidia but their cards and drivers dont give me near as much grief as the AMD counterparts.

jakeb96

I have literally tried everything possible on my end, it is 100% the amd drivers/software.  I have tried, resetting windows, scanning for viruses/malware, reinstalling browers, dxdiag reports, checked for corrupt files, updates windows and reinstaled network drivers, absolutley nothing has helped. Installing an older driver increases speeds but only by a tiny amount and nowhere near the speed it shoudl be. If nothing can be done soon then i may have to go biy an nvidia driver.

larsberntropbos

It's evil synergy with BitDefender.  Something in the 16.6.2 install breaks BitDefender necessitating to turn of BitDefender Firewall to be able to access the internet. Uninstalling 16.6.2 does not fix it.

I will install latest chipset driver (16.4.2), latest Crimson, and then repair BitDefender. I'll log a support call with BitDefender as well.  I would like AMD and BitDefender to collaborate on this, as this evil synergy reflects badly on them both.

larsberntropbos

Yup, that works.

Recap: install of 16.6.2 made BitDefender fire wall block everything.

Solution: after install of Crimson 16.6.2 repair BitDefender, then internet access returns.

jakeb96

I don't have BitDefender on my pc, is there anything else that could be the problem or something similar?

larsberntropbos

My thinking is the driver install somehow messes up the firewall and/or router settings . Regardless whof fulfills this function in your system be it Microsoft or Bitdefender or another, this interferes with Internet connectivity.

For me, repairing Bitdefender fixed the settings. I don't know if Microsoft firewall has a repair possibility.

I do have an idea: install a trial of Bitdefender. If that doesn'the fix it, run a repair (via de Programs control panel, it's either a direct option or an option if you ask it to uninstall). Let me know if that works.

jakeb96

I already have norton security on my pc, it did try to uninstall it when I installed bitdefender but i closed the norton window, but once the verification email came through and i try to login in on bitdefender, it just doesn't do anything; this shouldn't happen should it seeing as it is on the internet and not a programme. i did go into the windows firewall and network adapter settings and try all and any possible repairs but still nothing. I also installed the latest driver 16.7.2 to see if it made a difference but that made my internet speed unusable so I removed it.