3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2016 11:38 AM by amdmatt

a10-5800k - Problem with graphics/applications

sammi

Hello, I just made this account to ask this question because I cannot find a solution to my problem - I don't even exactly know what it is. I hope some of you tech-savvy kind people can help me.

I had bought myself a complete tower PC build from an online shop, sadly by now the time I can return it has run out - with the seller not answering to phone calls and emails... So I just hope to be able to solve this issue with your help.

So, here's the problem: part of the graphics don't work. Watching videos, youtube, whatever all works but:

- Windows Aero tells me my graphics driver must be updated. The system and search for a driver tell me it's the most recent one (it's from 2006? can that even be the most recent?)

- Windows Experience Index tells me it can't calculate because of a hardware or driver problem

- my PC won't hibernate or sleep, the options are greyed out

- Benchmark Sandra failed all things relating to the graphics, telling me to update the driver

- with the exception of one game (Gemcraft) everything in my steam library crashes on startup (e.g. Path of Exile, Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed)

- on the first startup of Photoshop it told me that some features will be disabled due to driver or graphical incompatabilies, but I unfortunately missed what it really said

I have an AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon Graphics and 16 GB RAM. Motherboard is A68HM Plus. Win 7 (x64) ist installed on a small SSD, my programms and files are on a 1 TB HDD.

(sorry - english is not my first language and I am not the most tech-savvy person...)

I would be very grateful for help!

Thank you.

EDIT: Going by the how-to-page of the autodetect utility shouldn't it recognize the hardware as 'A-series APU'?
      Sorry it's in German - it says it couldn't find a driver for my system - no supported AMD hardware found.
      amd_autodetect.png
      Also, would it help to install the win 7 x64 version of the A10-5800K with Radeon™ HD 7660D from the 'Desktop APU drivers' page? I'm afraid of doing more harm than good.

• Re: a10-5800k - Problem with graphics/applications
          amdmatt

The integrated GPU inside your APU has reached peak optimisation and been moved to legacy status, there will not be any further driver updates for your product. More information available here.

The last Catalyst driver for your system is 15.11.1 Beta and is available here.

I would recommend using DDU to sweep your system of AMD drivers, and then trying the driver above. They are fairly recent so i believe this should resolve your issue.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: a10-5800k - Problem with graphics/applications
              sammi

Dear Matt,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Doing the above indeed fixed my problems - my PC can hibernate now and trying a few things on Steam proves them to be launching just fine. Windows Experience Index also works now without stopping due to errors and moved from a grey 4 something to a blue 6,7. My system info also shows the 7660D as graphic card now, whereas before it was blank.

RIght now I am so mad at the seller for leaving customers to fend for themselves after giving them such a PC build... oh well.

Again, thank you so much, I wish I could send you cookies or something. You are awesome (and even if you are just doing your job you are still awesome).