8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 10:54 AM by mackpt1

Brightness disabled in Windows 10

gerard.boterman

5 July 2016: Windows 10 and AMD Radeon drivers - Brightness not working

Notebook: Dell M4600, Windows 10, AMD 6700M

Sind I upgraded my Dell 4600 laptop, my screen got incredible bright and the brightness function was disabled.

I followed many recommendations and links on line:

- Monitor driver uninstall, reboot and install

- Battery power settings / brightness adjustments

- Graphics driver uninstall / update to latest version; tried older versions, not being accepted

- Adaptive brightness on/off settings

Monitor:

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2818760/change-screen-brightness-windows-things.html and

http://superuser.com/questions/948587/i-cannot-adjust-screen-brightness-in-windows-10

Use older AMD driver

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2742627/change-brightness-windows.html

Adaptive brightness

http://windows.wonderhowto.com/how-to/disable-adaptive-brightness-windows-10-for-maximum-screen-brightness-0163440/

I read that the Catalyst AMD driver disables the brightness function of Windows 10 and followed the uninstall procedure:

https://community.amd.com/thread/184785

None of these have worked.

Can you please help finding a solution.

• Re: Brightness disabled in Windows 10
          amdpete

You could try this if you haven't already:

Go to Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
          Next, go find:
          MD_EnableBrightnesslf2
          KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2

Set both to 0.

Reboot.
          ADDITIONAL STEP: In Device Manager, disable your video adapter and re-enable.
          Retest your LCD brightness settings.

Taken from:

Catalyst driver kills screen brightness control on Windows 10 (build 10240, RTM)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            atlasminor

Hi

welcome to the commune

Windows-10 has many known display issues, one being its experice performance counters end up thinking displays are not something you need.

That being said, i had similair display problems, though not as bad as brightness not being functional at all.

Check services and enable the following

Sensor Service

Sensor DataService

SensorSvc

Then check power options

Under display you should see

Adaptive brightness

Dimmed Display Brightness- default is set to 50%

Change that to 5%

turn adaptive to ON

Create a custom desktop power plan, and reset all power plans to defaults, run a third party in background to switch to Balance Idle after 2-5minutes,

Reboot

Unfortunately mobile windows devices will take the biggest hit the whole new Face Login, secure TPM support , bio-metrics and camera security for mobile devices pretty much locks anything out not entered by RT or OEM manufactures.

sorry will be my last windows mobile device for me. Desktops and real GPU purchases should be diffirent, but not sure ive read problems across the board. Fast Boot and onbaord TPM seem to be ubiquitous nowadays

Also, Windows-10 has a new Hibersys.file system aimed at anything mobile that autolocks upon first login, preventing anything it thinks you shouldnt run out-of-box, unpreventable and um-deletable.

Do not delete the file, yes you can find it , but you will be welcomed by a Windows System Locked Drive Error, its dreaded.

If none of this works, and you want to keep running Win10, roll back, they wont be unlocking or revealing there new super security hidden vaccum like they did on win8 and win8.1

hope this helps.

aelgert

Same Problem for me:

I am (sucessfully) running "Radeon-Crimson-16.7.3-Win10-64Bit" with all those registry and montor uninstall/install hacks on a Dell M6600 System with FirePro M6100 (Replacement Card). After hours and tons of reboots, I got it to work.

Yesterday, I installed "Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.8.2-Aug11", nothing worked. First the Update crashed and I had to reboot, deinstall, reboot, install. Then the brightness could not be adjusted. I deinstalled 16.8.2 and reinstalled 16.7.3, and it does not work. Even with the hacks.

After that I did a System Restore, after that the driver is running again.

Please note, I am always able to adjust brightness on bootup procedure - the problem must be a software driver. At the moment this (falsy) software driver is loaded, the trouble starts.

On Win 7 nearly no driver worked properly, 1 driver out of 20 worked - but there the problem was the "lid close". The monitor went black and does not come up again. I had to suspend the laptop and wake it up again to get the monitor to work again.

aelgert

Machine: Dell M6600 FirePro 6100

Driver: win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.12.1-dec7

setting:

KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2

to 0 works for this driver

I am wondering, why they do not integrate this thing into the 500 MB package.

References:

M6600 Owners Thread | Page 692 | NotebookReview

https://community.amd.com/thread/198034#2712642

atlasminor

Unfortunately Windows-10 after deciding they needed to include windowsDefender Offline as a update and pre-update to windows-10, all driver/files now need to be verified before installing under normal boot....

WDO offline used to be, and still is mostly a Win7 prog, and highly argument stricken by Win Enthusiasts because of this, but the fact is before the system now loads, including the built in Firmware Anti-Malware code is injected, MS has allowed WDO/winDefender to supersede the new boot process to be placed in front first now preventing older secure boot systems and manufactures configurations  to   load properly IF they do not match or pass first WDO checks when the PC is first turned on.

It is possible to run into a problem at first time ( Cold Boot) load windows to desktop and Restart as many times as you want and the problem not re-appearing until the next Cold Boot happens.

What this means is, your drivers nor the registry wil load correctly or the PC firmware pointing to the VGA hardware until Defender Allows it.

Its possible to not think this wouldn't be the your case but it is, MS was serious when they stated Secure Boot will be a req for Win10 along with Secure System hardware to match it that must meet the verification windows-10 currently has. This actually wil affect a lot of things with any PC, but to answer your question which really isn't  question but

""

Yesterday, I installed "Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.8.2-Aug11", nothing worked. First the Update crashed and I had to reboot, deinstall, reboot, install. Then the brightness could not be adjusted. I DE-installed 16.8.2 and reinstalled 16.7.3, and it does not work. Even with the hacks.

After that I did a System Restore, after that the driver is running again.Please note, I am always able to adjust brightness on boot up procedure - the problem must be a software driver. At the moment this (false) software driver is loaded, the trouble starts

""

This is why your seeing this, and (tbh) secure requirements were never apart of windows-7 this is very old OS

mackpt1

Here is how to fix Brightness Control Not Working in Windows 10

1- Press Windows + x key. Click Device Manager.

2- Click on Display Adapters. It drops down a list.

3- Right-click on the current driver. Click Update Driver Software.

4- You get a couple of choices. Click on the first option – Search automatically for updated driver software.

5- Click on Browse my computer for driver software.

6- Then click on Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer.

7- Under Show compatible hardware, click on Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Click Next.

8- Press Windows + x key. Click Device Manager.

9- Click on Monitors.

10- Right-click on Generic PnP Monitor. Click on the Enable.

The generic PnP monitor will be enabled solving your brightness control issues.

Source:- https://merabheja.com/fix-brightness-control-not-working-windows-10/