4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 9:08 PM by speeder

15.11.1 vs 16.6.x, what is better for a 380X on Win7?

speeder

The 16.6.x crashes on some situations (for example seeing Shadow of Mordor encyclopedia).

Also it has some other bugs...

AMD staffer on other question suggested me to use 15.11.1 instead.

What you people think? Is it better? Will recent games work with it? Doom with Vulkan will work with it? Dota2 Vulkan? Someone knows?

• Re: 15.11.1 vs 16.6.x, what is better for a 380X on Win7?
          noodles59

My R9 380 is working flawlessly with the Crimson drivers since I bought it last year - granted I only have a single-GPU hence avoiding the ongoing multi-GPU mess out there. I would say if you have just  one GPU and nothing OC'ed you should be sailing safe with Crimson.

speeder

I instead never used Catalyst.

And Crimson is giving me lots of grief to the point of wanting to return the card if I could.

Also I have a 380X, that has about 15% more components than the 380, but for some reason has the same TDP :/ (thus it power throttles A LOT, at least on Crimson... and on 16.4 GTAV was completely unplayable, average frame rate was the expected, but the throttling caused some crazy stutter, sometimes making the game become a complete slideshow).

noodles59

Maybe a GPU heat problem?

No throttling issues here but just make sure temps GPU/CPU stay decent and the GPU's 8pin is fully seated. I had performance problems when my 6+2 plug got the 2pin not seated properly (not clicked in) hence my GPU was stuck in pcie x1 - 1.1 mode unable to switch to 2.0 under load.

I can't tell about GTAV - don't have it!

speeder

GPU is in 3.0 mode.

Temperature is 55C... with Sapphire Trixx that is (one of the problems I have with Crimson, is that without Sapphire Trixx the fans seemly get stuck at 20% or something and never spin).

Also, undervolting improved the throttling (made it throttle less), raising power limit also made it throttle less, so it is power-related, or power saving related.