AnsweredAssumed Answered

Legacy 16.2.1 Beta P-states/high performance mode?

Question asked by afterlife on Jul 4, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 by afterlife

Were there any changes to p-states or other "under the hood" changes for legacy cards in these drivers?

I have Sapphire 6850 Vapor-X card and with Catalyst drivers (Win10 x64) while browsing web with Chrome, for example, I usually get GPU/MEM clock spikes from 100/150 to 600/1000. Here's how the MSIAB graph looks like when I watch twitch.tv stream: http://i.imgur.com/pVWD0Mr.png

However on Crimson drivers clock spikes seem more aggressive or simply bugged. If I open the same page in Chrome with Crimson drivers my GPU core will spike up to 775mhz. Same thing I noticed while playing a video with hardware acceleration enabled - card just enters the high performance mode instead of a lower p-state.

Can anyone confirm this is a normal behavior on these drivers compared to Catalyst drivers? I don't really have a problem with Crimson drivers, except for the broken openCL (thanks for the legacy parting "gift", AMD) which can be fixed by dll swap, but I'm a bit worried by card entering high performance mode for no apparent reason, especially when it was more efficient on the older drivers. I'm using 15.11CCC drivers for now but Crimson seem to be a tiny bit better in games on my machine.

Outcomes