AnsweredAssumed Answered

GPU Drivers arent installing correctly

Question asked by beachbum111111 on Jul 4, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 26, 2018 by mkrtchyan_designer

I tried helping my friend update his GPU drivers and now his computers is completely messed up. He basically doesn't have a GPU driver now. This is what he wrote on TomsHardware. Any help would be appreciated.

"My laptops GPU drivers are completely messed up. I was trying to update my GPU drivers (the first time since I bought the laptop, which is about 5 years old) so that I can run games better. First problem was that windows seemed to think that I had an entirely different type of GPU after I downloaded it. Before in device manager it said I had an AMD Radeon HD 6470M but after the installation of the new drivers and restarting my PC it thought I had a Radeon HD of the 7400 variant. The second problem is that AMD settings wouldn’t open, it said that the driver either isn’t installed or isn’t functioning. So I tried uninstalling the AMD drivers (also used AMDs clean uninstall tool) and tried installing the latest Catalyst version but now even CCC doesn’t work, saying the same thing as AMD drivers did. I tried even uninstalling and all that again and just using AMDs autodetect driver thing (Which DID find and install a driver) but the same thing happens and I can’t open Catalyst. I have no clue what to do next, do you guys have any idea what’s wrong?

My specs are:

HP Pavilion G7 notebook

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel Core i5-2430m CPU @ 2.40 GHz

6 GB Ram

AMD Radeon 6470M (depending on the driver installed will say it’s a 7400M series)"

Outcomes