1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 10:35 AM by zealotki11er

Original Ati Crossfire Concept

warcrysis

I question why Ati/AMD abandoned the original crossfire concepts to just do the the quick easy cheap thing Nvidia did with SLI. Money/Budget restraints why AMD purchased Ati?

Either way if AMD went back and redeveloped the idea of having two cards. Each rendering positive and negative frames to have true 100% performance increase I some how believe no one would ever buy a NVidia chip again. True 100% scaling should happen on AMD's end. Not the game developers. This is why multi GPU setups have been a let down. You never get true 100% cause you can not really get that all the time cause of the way it's designed. If AMD went back and made a new version of Xfire with the original concepts in mind they would take over the GPU mobo market share and Nvidia wouldn't have a response for quite some time.

The question is is AMD just a copy cat or are they innovative ?

• Re: Original Ati Crossfire Concept
          zealotki11er

The current technique used for today's DX11 games is Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR). In practice if the game engine supports it you get very good scaling. Problem with is technique is that most game engines are developed for consoles and single GPU. They render one frame but share info with the other frame. Because info is reused/passed from one frame to another it's next to impossible to split them so one GPU does one and the other GPU does the other frame. You notice in some games you have to turn off AA because usually AA techniques are sharing information between frames. In the past there was a technique called. Split Frame Rendering (SFR).

In this method one card does the top half and the other card does the bottom half. I have never tested this personally. It's suppose to be the method we will be using with DX12 in the future.