2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2016 4:14 PM by awaks

R9 270 SCREEN FLICKERING - MEMORY CLOCK PROBLEM

awaks

Hello guys.

Well I have very strange problem with my AMD PowerColor Turboduo R9 270 card. My screen flickers occassionaly in a sec. It happens only on desktop, on browsing (especially when changing between tabs) and in game menus, not when I play. Sometimes it just goes bad (like a bad television channel) and in that case the only option is to restart PC on button. I RMA-ed my card and they told me it is OK. I replaced old PSU and the problem still remains. And after almost 1 year, I noticed that it has something to do with Memory Clock fluctuations. My default max Memory clock is set to 1400 Mhz, so when I tried to change it in Radeon Crimson driver settings something happened and now it is stuck at 1400 mhz even in idle and I can't change it anymore. But guess what? NO MORE FLICKERING. Yes, the temperature is higher 10 degrees C (in idle 45 degrees C). So I wonder if someone else is facing this weird problem ? Is it driver related and if yes, when there will be any fix? Because I heard that having Memory Clock max all the time is bad for GPU.

Thanks!

Sorry for if my english is bad.

• Re: R9 270 SCREEN FLICKERING - MEMORY CLOCK PROBLEM
          amdpete

There is a reset button the overdrive section which would reset things back to the defaults, as well as the reset to factory defaults option in the preferences section of Radeon Settings.

• Re: R9 270 SCREEN FLICKERING - MEMORY CLOCK PROBLEM
              awaks

Yes, I did that too before. But now I realized when I underclock my default max memory from 1400 Mhz to 1300 Mhz , gpu is stable and there is no artefacts at all. However 1400 Mhz for Memory clock and anything above is unstable. GPU clock is not problem. But isn't it strange that I have to underclock my core clocks? So, for me now there are two options:

1) Memory clock to be stuck on max (even in idle) and not fluctuate at all - no flickering

2) Underclock my core Memory clock by 100 Mhz - no flickering

This is really weird and it happens only when Memory clock fluctuates from min to max, but on CORE CLOCK speeds (GPU clock - 955 Mhz, MEMORY clock - 1400 Mhz or above up to 1500 Mhz). I tried all drivers, all settings, but nothing helped. I have this problem for almost 1 year and still there is no solution. Someone told me that low core voltage can cause flickering and that voltage can be modified via some 3rd party applications.

Thanks.