3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2016 4:04 PM by jimmyd1964

AMD Radeon R9 200 temperature 90c while gaming

asham

Good day,

My friend has build this great gaming desktop for me, but the temperature while playing games of my GPU is getting really hot. I'm afraid that there's something wrong with either the games I play or card itself. The gpu temperature while idle is around 52C and when I play a game (Skyrim, Planet Coaster), the temperature rise betweem 78-90C. I've downloaded this small program to manually control my fans, and even when I set the GPU fan at 100% (4100 RPM) the temperature won't get lower than 80C. I already checked the amount of dust and cleaned it. I always have 58+ FPS while playing though.

My set up:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 651MHz

3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series (MSI)

Does anyone have a few tips for me?

• Re: AMD Radeon R9 200 temperature 90c while gaming
          smilod0n

I guess you have an R9 280(x) / HD7970 (becouse of the 3gb of vram). These card consumes a lot of power so you should have good airflow in your case. 90°C is a bit high except if you have ref. cooler. Solution: buy a new chassis with good airflow OR buy a water cooler for your VGA OR you can try undervolting it, maybe set MAX FPS/use V-Sync in games (you can do this from driver).

sqwerty

The card can (and will) pull about 300w, that's a lot of heat to dissipate. My friends ASUS 390 also exhibits the same behaviour i.e 90c+ if left at auto or 80's with a more aggressive fan profile.

The Sapphire cards had the best cooling for the 200 and 300 high end parts, the Accellero Xtreme also works wonders with them.

jimmyd1964

Have you checked the fans on the GPU to see if they are spinning?

My XFX 280X Idles at 32C and max gaming at 62C, but I have 13 fans in a Corsair 900D, so great airflow.

I also clean my case , filters and air coolers (Both CPU and GPU) about every month. This really helps.

If you blow out the dust on the GPU, touch the fan so it doesn't spin, to not over spin the fans

I also use "auto fan settings" and Set Frame rate control to 60fps.. I Do however run everything  (games) at max settings.

Good luck, and try to increase airflow.