5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2016 3:52 PM by speeder

R9 270x broke shortly after updating drivers

bob47

About a day after updating my drivers using the control center, my Sapphire R9 270x broke. While doing some internet browing the screen suddenly went black. After restarting the computer my monitor shows the message "out of range". I tried to connect the monitor using DVI, which just shows weird patterns/artifacts.

I tried to unplug the card and plug it back in, which didn't change anything. I also tried a different graphics card in the system, which works fine, so my motherboard or PSU are not the problem.

While it could be just a coincidence that my card broke shortly after updating, I read that last year an AMD driver update also caused some graphics cards to break. Is there anyone else who has experienced similar problems with a recent driver update or with this GPU?

• Re: R9 270x broke shortly after updating drivers
          speeder

Can you attempt to boot windows in safe mode? Windows should drop to 60hz (that should work on most monitors).

Then attempt to configure in safe mode the resolution correctly, and reboot.

If this work, then you were just bitten by a very, VERY old issue (in the Windows 95 era this issue was super common... it was driver install corrupting the screen configuration).

bob47

It does not appear to be an issue with Windows; I cannot access the BIOS either, as nothing is shown on the screen at all. Also, I have used the computer for a few hours after the update, without any problems.

speeder

It sounds bad then :/ It probably actually broke your 270X (to be more precise, the digital output controller, that decides the pixel clock and refresh rate, unless you are using a VGA monitor, then it was RAMDAC that broke).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      bob47

Very interesting, must be the digital output controller then as I was using HDMI. Any idea how something like that can break?

speeder

That is a very good question... I have no idea.

In my country most good monitors are still analog, so I never bothered to look into how the digital output chip works (similarly, I am very sad the newer AMD GPUs won't have RAMDAC in them anymore, my best monitors are analog).

But RAMDACs were notoriously easy to kill if you tried to use them with a grossly unsupported clock rate.

Digital Output Chips probably still have a pixel clock (the amount of pixels pushed into the cables), that might be tied to the chip actual clock, and the drivers maybe overclocked the chip beyond its limits.

But all that is speculation, would need official AMD reply instead.