6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 2:23 PM by ray_m

DirectX 12 issues using new drivers with R7 360

leonardohenrique10

I'm on 16.3.2 drivers now. When I update to most recent drivers (16.5.3, 16.6.1 or 16.6.2), my DirectX 12 stop working. Every time I try to use DirectX 12 API with this new driver, the application crashs. Why I'm having this issue? In other GPUs occurred this issue too?

• Re: DirectX 12 issues using new drivers with R7 360
          icatalin32

I have that too. I have a Radeon R9 290 and up to date drivers (16.7.2 hotfix) and since I've upgraded free to Win10 X64 from Win8.1 x64, I have issues. Forza Apex crashes to desktop at start although when I installed it first (when it launched on the market, before its updates were released) it launched and worked like a charm (it was dx12 from the beginning no?).

A strange thing happens with Rise of the Tomb Raider. When I launch it first, it launches on High Settings and DX11. Works like a charm. But when I switch to DX12 (every other options remains the same - high settings) I get desktop crash at launch. I restart the game and when I launch it, crash. So I need to redownload it again because there is no safe mode option for it sadly.

With quantum break, there is other issue and it's related also to the cpu extensions. Sadly, I own a Core2Quad 9550 and it seems those cpus are not currently compatible with this game (at launch, I get a message - POPCNT instruction missing).

I don't know for other games because I own only those above. Killer Instinct works like a charm but I don't know if it launches on dx12 (i'look in the menus but I don't know if i see an option there).

What happens AMD with your drivers?You have also AMD HD3D stereoscopic problem unsolved in the latest driver generation. Now you have this dx12 issue, what happens there? Everyone talks about bad AMD drivers, now I feel it on my skin, so to say.

What is strange is that you supported DX12 more than Nvidia and from what I see now, Nvidia gpus work like a charm on dx12. It is a mess imho there and you have to deal with those drivers issues once and for all.

I really hope AMD staff is listening right now even if they are on holidays, in fact, those are the official forums.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              leonardohenrique10

Yes man, AMD need to fix this. Now, every time I update Windows 10 (I'm an insider), it automatic install 16.6 driver, and every driver after 16.5.1 have this bug.
              They are focused on the new cards and causing bugs in other cards...
              We need OFFICIAL drivers that works with ALL CARDS without bugs!

icatalin32

Yes, AMD should "listen" at least to the forums, especially this forum which IS OFFICIAL and they own it. What happens to them?Is it so hard to fix driver issues? I can't believe that after such hype with DX12 and full support of AMD, now I get crash on Windows10 on games using this new api.

I can't believe it. Plus, I like very much playing in stereo 3d and for this reason, I have to stick with very old driver 14.12 which is the last AMD Radeon driver for AMD HD3D not broken. All the following updates are broken, their HD3D side are broken, stereo 3d is messed up.

And I agree 100% with you Leo, AMD insists on new cards and completely forget about old cards. I like very much my R9 290, I paid alot for it, and althought in gaming sessions is sounds like a turbine, I don't wanna change it.

A bit offtopic, but I would like to mention that even game developers are not optimising anymore for the "older" hardware (still powerful though up to date): Remedy messed up with Quantum Break setting CPU BOUNDARIES, this is the first time I hear about this. In fact, I get error saying that my cpu core2quad Q9550 is missing some instructions (POPCNT - a part of sse 4.2 something) and I can't even start the game.

tapek

Look here: DirectX 12 support on pre SSE4.2 CPUs - somebody patched latest drivers to work with older CPU, once again community works around developers/manufactures bugs...

ray_m

This issue has been addressed in the latest Crimson 16.10.2 driver package which has just been released.