4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2016 3:47 PM by brucer

Radeon settings stop responding when opening wattman

waffenruhe

It doesn't happen every time but has happened twice so far today after updating to 16.6.2 to use with my new RX 480. Anyone else having this issue or know of a solution?

EDIT: Provided a screenshot of what comes up.

• Re: Radeon settings stop responding when opening wattman
          amdmatt

I'd like you to try a system clean up and a fresh installation of 16.6.2, to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.6.2 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

waffenruhe

I just completed all of the steps you asked to me do and it appears to still be happening. I have been trying to figure out exactly what causes it but I have been unable to find a way to recreate it. Sometimes it will happen the first time I open wattman, but other times it won't happen for hours. It does seem though that it happens most commonly after running something gpu intensive and then trying to open wattman after. For example if I run a benchmark and then open wattman after to check temperatures it is very likely to stop responding.

amdmatt

Understood. I would recommend waiting for our next driver and to submit a bug report explaining your issue.

brucer

this is exactly the same issue I'm having

Description

Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    RadeonSettings.exe

Application Version:    10.1.1.1633

Application Timestamp:    577c6e5b

Fault Module Name:    Qt5Gui.dll

Fault Module Version:    5.5.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp:    558c6cb7

Exception Code:    c0000005

Exception Offset:    0000000000017390

OS Version:    10.0.10586.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID:    1033

Additional Information 1:    35ed

Additional Information 2:    35ed3724bb3041b323369e6246c127d8

Additional Information 3:    2373

Additional Information 4:    23735e464a77b7eccc6c1e2b10e98268