16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 1:41 PM by wallykazam

No Crossfire settings for 7990 in Crimson at all

geogan

Since I upgraded from older non Crimson drivers to the Crimson drivers, the options to set Crossfire on or off, Crossfire mode (1x1, etc) and Frame Pacing are ALL MISSING from the game profile settings and global settings pages.

There is NO way for me to turn Crossfire OFF using this Crimson software.

This is driving me mad. Star Wars Battlefront is FLICKERING like mad when Crossfire is on because it doesn't support it, and with these drivers I CAN'T TURN IT OFF.

I used to have all options using older drivers.

It's a disgrace that AMD treats owners of their previous flagship card like this.

• Re: No Crossfire settings for 7990 in Crimson at all
          amdmatt

There has never been an option to globally enable or disable AMD CrossFire for the 7990 or the R9 295x2. However you should be able to disable CrossFire via using a game profile within Radeon Settings. More information on how to do that here.

cheph

With the new Driver 16.6.2 and the added Crossfire Profile for World of tanks, there aint be an Option in the World of Tanks Gameprofile to enable, disable or change Crossfire Settings.

R9 295X2

Win 7 64 Bit

geogan

Sorry, hard to understand you, but it appears you are saying that the Crossfire options for that Tank game WERE in Crimson 16.3.2 and now are now NOT in Crimson 16.6.2. Correct?

I am using latest 16.6.2 and previously had the 16.6.1. The options for Crossfire do not appear for any game profile or global profile. That's the problem. I wonder is it possible to edit a game profile and add the Crossfire options back in?

geogan

Matt, your answer is completely wrong. Yes I should be able to do it, but I can't. Obviously that should be the way to do it, but if it was that obvious why do you think I would be complaining that I can't do it - do you think I would be so stupid to miss such obvious profile options?

If you read what I said above "the options to set Crossfie on or off, Crossfire mode (1x1, etc) and Frame Pacing are ALL MISSING from the game profile settings and global settings pages"

I'm sure, if you are working for AMD, that you know that for some reason the two options "AMD Crossfire mode" and "Frame Pacing" do NOT SHOW UP for the 7990 or the R9 295x2 (I can show you screenshot if you wish but take my word for it).

There can be no technical reason for not showing them because I had the options with previous Radeon drivers.

So for owners of these two previous flagship dual GPU cards from AMD, they are now stuck with unusable, worthless cards which are not able to turn OFF Crossfire in all the modern games which do not support Crossfire or even change the mode of Crossfire (with previous Radeon drivers the Crossfire option Optimise 1x1 worked OK with Battlefront but I can't even choose that Crossfire option now either)

Is AMDs plan to force people to upgrade to newer non-Crossfire single GPUs by crippling older dual GPU models in drivers?

cheph

No such Option in Gameprofile!

amdmatt

We'd like to learn more about this, please can you provide more information?

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

In addition, please can you attach (don't copy paste) your DXDIAG report to your response? Thank you.

Dxdiag - Click Start, type in dxdiag and press Enter. Under Run DirectX 64-Bit, click on Save All Information and save this as dxdiag.txt

geogan
                            AMD Graphics Card
                            AMD Radeon HD 7990
                            Desktop System
                            Operating System
                            Windows 7 Professional 64bit
                            Driver version installed
                            Crimson 16.6.2 64Bit
                            Display Devices
                            Dell U2715H @60Hz DisplayPort 2560 x 1440
                            Motherboard
                            ASUS Rampage II Extreme
                            CPU/APU
                            Intel Core i7 970 @ 3.20GHz
                            Power Supply
                            Tagan BZ-ESA Modular 800W
                            RAM
                            12Gb Corsair Dominator GT DDR3

Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing and the steps required to reproduce the issue.

No options for Crossfire or Frame Pacing in Crimson game or global profiles using 7990 card - not possible to disable Crossfire or change mode

Details about applications/games affected (including version number)

Star Wars Battlefront

Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)

N/A

2016-07-01_23-35-56.png

2016-07-01_23-48-31.png

2016-07-01_23-51-29.png

Save

amdmatt

Please can you attach a DXDIAG report to your next response? Thank you.

I can see from the screenshot that CrossFire is enabled and working, but the option to configure CrossFire via a game profile is missing. Please try removing the current drivers using DDU in safe mode, and then performing a clean installation of 16.6.2.

geogan

I have uninstalled 16.6.2 using the uninstall option then ran DDU from Safemode reboot, then re-installed 16.6.2 from a clean Windows 7 reboot.

Afterwards I still see no option for Crossfire or Framepacing in any of the Crimson profile pages.

I had to manually add the Starwars Battlefront profile by searching for executable too as it didn't automatically find it using Scan option. Still no Crossfire options.

2016-07-02_14-17-08.png

geogan

Matt are you taking the piss or what? You just asked me to do the same thing two posts up and if you even bothered to have a quick glance at the reply I gave you would have seen that I already cleaned using DDU and installed 16.6.2 and it had no effect.

To be honest it looks like you are just here to send users on merry-go-rounds and stock answers to make it look like AMD is helping but you are not.

For anyone that meets this problem in the future the solution to this problem is to completely remove these Crimson drivers and go back to the last Catalyst version before Crimson which was 15.7.1. Then go into that control panel, make a profile for Battlefront and then DISABLE crossfire completely for this game. This works but it means the second GPU on your 7990 is sitting idle and you effectively have a 7970 card in your machine (which cost half as much).

Looks like AMD is intentionally crippling older dual GPU cards to make them worse/unusable to make people buy the new single GPU cards.

Can't wait to see what the NVidia 1080 card is like when I sell this card.

amdmatt

Apologies, I was having technical issues with the forum and my initial reply was not showing.

I was not able to reproduce this behaviour on my system using a 7990, the options are all showing in Radeon Settings. This is on a clean installation of Windows. How old is your Windows installation?

After checking your DXDIAG report, i noticed that your Motherboard bios is from 2011. I would recommend updating to the latest version and ensure your Chipset drivers are up to date from the Intel website.

Have you tried installing Crimson 16.6.2 on top of the Catalyst 15.7.1 WHQL drivers? If you do that does the CrossFire options appear?

I have passed your DXDIAG onto engineering and we will try to reproduce this issue internally in the meantime.

geogan

No there is no more updates to my chipset or BIOS - it's an old Rampage II model so they stopped when newer Rampage III and newer came out.

No point attempting to use Crimson at all - there is no advantage to it over the working Catalyst drivers. It would still require me to disable Crossfire for this.

Also on another side note when I was using the Crimson driver, I was experiencing random total computer lockups and black screens failures while running Battlefront - this has completely gone again now that I am back with Catalyst - so whatever Crimson driver is doing it is highly unstable and causing PC lockups (and nothing to do with overheating or overclocking because I never overclock - in fact I tested previously by underclocking the card to 50% of its default and it still crashed). The fact the crashing is gone when back with Catalyst and nothing else has changed with the PC hardware or settings proves it is the Crimson driver that caused it.

I will just live with using a single GPU in the 7990 until I change the card.

srs13rastus

I had the same problem and found a fix but sadly it probably won't help as it involves removing the 2nd GPU and you can't do that with the 6990, 7990 & 295X2....

Crossfire Option Not Showing Up Even Though Everything Is Put In Correctly.

Dunno if any of it'll help but the other bits may be worth a try or id possible use another, same series single GPU to install the driver the way I did above then refit the 295X2 and see if that sorts it. (so long as you have someone to "borrow" an AMD GPU from temporarily). The link to the MS page might help with stuttering and shutdowns due to driver problems as well.

Hope you lot get a similar result soon

geogan

Thanks for reply.

Actually what I did in the end was install the working last pre-Crimson 15.7.1 driver which has working Crossfire options for 7990.

Then after this, I ran the installer for latest Crimson 16.6.2 driver but un-selected everything except the GPU driver itself (so no new control panel or anything else).

This means I have the latest GPU driver but still can use the old Catalyst Control Centre.

So it appears this is a bug in the newer Crimson control panel and not a driver limitation.

I can now disable one of the GPUs in a game profile and so could run Battlefront successfully and also run the new Battlefield 1 Alpha which requires at least a Crimson driver to even start (gives warning on startup saying it requires it).

wallykazam

THANK YOU geogan!!!!! your method work!! i been trying to get it to work since 5 AM. My only problem is that when i updated to the new driver, CF option went away. The 15.7.1 does not work on some new games