8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2016 2:48 AM by radrobinspi

RX 480 slot PCIe power

zeethas

Hi, I would buy a AMD RX 480 but on some technology sites (eg .Tom’s Hardware) I read that the RX 480 on the PCI-E slot under some circumstances may drain more power than expected by the specification of PCIe slot (86W vs 75W)

This is the link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

Do you think this is true or the staff of Tom's Hardware has made some mistakes in calculation?

thank you

• Re: RX 480 slot PCIe power
          brucer

people are already here reporting dead pcie slots. so your guess is as good as mine..  I seen this talked about live yesterday and the ones that found it know what they are talking about..  I would like to hear some official news from amd on this, i'm sure it'll have spin on it though..

radrobinspi

So, from what I have heard, there are many reports of the RX 480 overstepping the PCI-E power limitations, however, I have no clue as to which are true, which are fake, and which are recycled. There are other reviewers who are currently pledging to get their hands on cards and look over the PCI-E issues, and I eagerly awit their responses. I personally suggest that if you do want to get an RX 480, then you should get an AIB version, or at least one that doesn't have a reference cooler.

Another point to take into account is that the cards that were overstepping were able to manage overclocks of near 1300-1350 (I believe), and always were capable of hitting the boost clock of 1266MHz. The fact that it will boost up to that point while overstepping the PCI-E boundaries means that in the driver-side of things, there MIGHT be a way to stop the RX 480 from overstepping the limitations of safe usage. This might be expected in a driver update, but for right now, I don't know.

As I said, waiting for an AIB partner to release a board with an 8-pin power connector instead of the stock 6-pin will likely fix the issues at hand. There are reports of PowerColor releasing their RX 480 with an 8-pin power connector (testing version shown below), and Sapphire doing the same (although I can't say I like their "cheese grater" XD ).

http://videocardz.com/61769/exclusive-powercolor-radeon-rx-480-devil-pictured

http://videocardz.com/61687/sapphire-shows-off-radeon-rx-480-nitro

I hope this helps. If I happen across any new contect on this matter, I will try and keep you posted.

Cheers!

zeethas

Thank you radrobinspi,

I already know the Sapphire NITRO (I've a R9 370 and I consider it a good card), if in a short time Sapphire will make the RX 480 NITRO with the 8-pin connector

and it will thus solved the problems excessive drain power from the PCI-E I will be happy to buy it

brucer

But, if the cards are overvolting the pcie slot, the existing cards on the market are considered faulty and also with false specifications..  It means the cards are not as advertised, and also out of compliance regulations.. A voltage reduction would be needed, possibly with a bios flash, dont know if it could be done with a driver update but probably not.. then that in turn would drop the performance of the card even further.

I see this becoming a major issue unless amd gets off their lazy duffs in a hurry and figures out whats up.  I would bet Nvidia is likely already looking into it.

radrobinspi

brucer wrote:

But, if the cards are overvolting the pcie slot, the existing cards on the market are considered faulty and also with false specifications.. It means the cards are not as advertised, and also out of compliance regulations.. A voltage reduction would be needed, possibly with a bios flash, dont know if it could be done with a driver update but probably not.. then that in turn would drop the performance of the card even further.

I see this becoming a major issue unless amd gets off their lazy duffs in a hurry and figures out whats up. I would bet Nvidia is likely already looking into it.

My good sir, in regards to NVIDIA already looking into it, I am sure AMD has already begun a while ago. It is not as if AMD will turn a blind eye to a product they desperately need to work and work well.

As for dropping the performance of the card even further, if AMD can get the card to be safely within the PCI-E regulations, and make it so the 6-pin power connector takes the brunt of the load, then they are more off the hook, as it will harm the system less if the power is drawn from the PSU. That way, they can also update their recommendations for PSU types and efficiency, and risk less damage. Overall, they do need to do something, I agree, but I believe it will be fixed soon. Many people have lost confidence in AMD, but I think this time around, AMD will deliver. As I said, they desperately need this product to work, and work well, or else they are toast. The undervoltage could be done, and it might be done as a hotfix, but I don't think it will be the long term solution.

Cheers!

abi

AMD needs to solve this issue ASAP, or at least explain it. Why a 160W card takes 100w from the PCI-e slot? how much power does the card actually need? I have seen this cards (non OC) consuming up to 200W on Valley bench, on PCI 12v ~100w / 3v ~5w, and from the power cable ~100w

PCI-e slot can handle up to 75w goin over this is playing with fire, and at this moment i would like to see how a MOBO can handle Crossfire!!!!!!

radrobinspi

The RX 480 consumes on average around 160W under heavy gaming load, 80W of which is over the 75W limited PCI-E slot. The spikes of up to 125W are normal, and we have seen higher, like the now infamous ASUS GTX 960 Strix, which consumers 250W over the PCI-E slot in some cases. Also, might I see the source for the RX 480 going up to 200W on valley?

I personally don't think that the issue is too drastic at this point. I have seen one PCI-E slot die, and it appears that even that person got lucky. Anyway, I think the issue will be resolved soon, possibly in a driver release.