10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 3:43 AM by william

Which RX480 to crossfire???

feverstriker

Okay, this card is amazing. One of the best highlights is the price, the 4gb is @ $200 and 8gb is @ $229-239.

So crossfiring two of these would still be pretty cost efficient right? Now the questions is, crossfire the 4gb or the 8gb?
      Give some reasons why to do it or not to do it and which model to use.

• Re: Which RX480 to crossfire???
          zealotki11er

This is AMD forum so... Do not CFX. It's a waste of money. If you want more performance get a faster card. AMD does not have a new faster card so wait or get the competition. My 2x 290X have been a waste of money. I am dying to go back to a single GPU. There was a review and from 21 games only 7 worked "OK" with CFX. Things ming change in the future but right now get 1 GPU and get aftermarket RX 480 8GB.

teckem

I don't see any problem on why not to do it, especially since their combined power consumption is ~390W. And choosing between 4GB or 8GB for crossfire I'll choose the 8GB variant since it gives a lot of "future proof" sentiment.

Here is a Crossfire test:

https://youtu.be/vazL57c4nq8

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              loccothan

Pick 1 from Sapphire/XFX/MSI

TOXIC

Black OC WC

Lightning

And wait ! CF can work very well if you know what you doing.

Contact user VASE from Guru3D forums.

blazek

Do yourself a favor and stick with a single card

normpearii

If your going to crossfire, always get the higher memory version. For the moment, the GPU memory does not stack with 2 cards, the increased GPU potential in the few titles that do support Crossfire in some games with higher resolution textures in high resolution scenarios may approach 4 GBs (If you've ever run out of VRAM before, it's no fun.)

The the future with that one DX12 mode that the cards stack, crossfire 4 GB cards might be usable, but for now you'll want as much memory as possible while games are still using DX11 and the other mode in DX12. (I couldn't remember which name was which for the two modes, so sorry for the vagueness.)

william

I heard that 4GB version is enough for single card setup and that 8GB is what you would choose for crossfire. There are some benchmarks on the internet which compares performance of 4 vs 8 GB versions, can't remember the link but it should be easy to find. Just google something like RX 480 4GB vs RX 480 8GB.

brucer

The 4gb will not be enough vram for upcoming dx12 titles, unless you run on lower settings to make up for the lack of vram.

william

brucer maybe, maybe not. Who knows what technology will appear in a year or so... I heard that DX will drastically improve texture compression, maybe it's jut a rumor and maybe it's going to be like you have said. No one knows for sure. I just know that this is something I have little knowledge of since I have DX 10 card which is unable to even run games from recent years. I guess time will tell.

Yeah, the memory is slower. It was mentioned in the benchmarks. There was real world tests on 4GB, 8GB and 4GB with OC memory. Overclocked 4GB was within 1% margin of 8GB if I remember correctly.

brucer

The 4gb version has slower memory than the 8gb version.  7gbps on the 4 gb card vs 8gbps on the 8 gb card.