1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 1, 2016 3:37 AM by amdmatt

HD 7950 freezes with new drivers

navi

Hi,

3 days ago I decided to update my gpu driver and downloaded new 16.6.1 driver with the help of catalyst app, unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure about the version of driver which I used before installing new one, but I think it was 15.12 or 15.11. I started to install 16.6.1 and during analyzing process it gave me an error, something like "Can't find the driver. Contact AMD", at same time another error popped out from windows saying that the driver has no digital signature. I googled this problem and found that solution was to make windows stop checking digital signatures, I tried to do it, but the driver installation still gave me "Can't find the driver" error. I tried to download and install the driver manually, still same error. After that I downloaded AMD Driver Autodetect tool out of desperation and it proceeded to install 16.3.2 driver. It looked like everything is fine, installation gave me no errors, but after restarting my pc, instead of loading my windows 7 it loaded windows recovery environment. I spent whole day trying to delete new gpu driver which was undoubtedly the source of this problem, but couldn't even get into running safe mode. Having no hope of recovering my os left, I made a clean install of windows 10, new 16.6.1 driver was installed without an error and I thought everything was over, but after playing for an hour my pc froze with black screen and stopped responding to any commands. I had to restart it but during start up process and loading screens there were different graphic artifacts, mostly horizontal and vertical stripes of different colour. I thought my gpu started dying but after I uninstalled the driver the artifacts were gone. After that I tried to install 16.6.2 and 16.5.3 drivers and every time it's the same: everything seems to be working fine, but after I start up a game (mostly tested it with battlefield 4, but same problem stays with other games like world of warships for example) and play it for 10 minutes or so, it freezes with black or light blue or some other colour screen, after restart pc starts to experience different artifacts, sometimes freezing on start not letting me even use windows, so I have to restart pc several times, until it loads properly. Another interesting thing is that all artifacts usualy disappear on desktop screen, although couple of times desktop had it's own artifacts. But after uninstalling the driver everything disappears and there are no freezes (for some reason driver can't be uninstalled during safe mode).

I would appreciate any help from anyone.

My specs:

Motherboard - Asus P6T

CPU - Core i7 960

RAM - 12GB HyperX

Storage - OCZ Vertex 4 128GB

Storage - WDC WD20EARS-00S8B1 2TB

GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB edition

OS - Windows 10 Home 64 bit

PS: Found a topic with similar problems: https://community.amd.com/thread/202103?q=new%20driver%20freezes

I'll try revert back to 15.11.1 and see if it will work.

• Re: HD 7950 freezes with new drivers
          amdmatt

Please try the steps below to see if it resolves your issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install Crimson 16.6.2 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.