2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 9:25 AM by oomek

Scaling Mode Center not working

rutra80

I want full-screen lower resolutions which are non-native for my display to be centered with 1:1 pixel ratio, but no matter how I set Scaling Mode & GPU Scaling, they're always upscaled and blurred (aspect-ratio corrected).

I'm on Windows 10, with FullHD 120Hz FreeSync monitor connected via DisplayPort to Radeon R7 260X driven by Crimson v16.6.1.

What can we do with this issue?

BTW, when in Center mode, it would be smart to nearest-neighbour upscale the resolutions which are at most half the native resolution - by an integer factor. So if my native resolution is 1920x1080, and I display 640x480, it should be upscaled to 1280x960 and then centered (pixel ratio of 2). 320x200 could be upscaled with pixel ratio of 5 etc.

• Re: Scaling Mode Center not working
          rutra80

After updating Windows 10 to build 1607 (v10.0.14393) it's even worse. Before, centering was working with some titles, now it doesn't work at all - it's always aspect-ratio corrected. I'm on newest Crimson.

BTW, is it fault of Windows, or graphics drivers that on asymmetric multimonitor setup after coming back to desktop from non-native-resolution or from sleep/hibernation, positions of icons get screwed up?

• Re: Scaling Mode Center not working
            oomek

I've recently wasted 2 days trying to solve that problem with the app I'm writing. I thought it was me, but it's the drivers.

To update the topic:

In DirectX 9 mode scaling method is forced to Preserve Aspect Ratio.

In DirectX 11 mode scaling method is forced to Full Panel.

Try with Valley Benchmark yourself.

To reproduce the issue game or benchmark needs to be launched in 1280x1024 fullscreen on a 16:9 screen

in DirectX 9 mode game will be stretched  to full 16:9 regardless of Scaling Mode set in Radeon Settings

in DirectX 11 game will be letter boxed regardless of Scaling Mode set in Radeon Settings

On desktop the problem does not occur,  only in full screen applications.

I've tried all the drivers and the problem exist in all of them.

Radeon R7 240

Windows 10x64