63 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2016 11:45 AM by djsiegfried

R9 380X Black Screen

djsiegfried

Black Screen with the newest hotfix driver too.  I tried every crimson driver and the suggested catalyst driver too. Every day i got Black Screen.

My previous card was an HD7870 Sapphire. It was perfect.

My rig:

FX 8350 4.0 Ghz

R9 380X Sapphire Nitro OC

8GB DDR Crucial Ballistix Sport

Gigabyte 990 FXA UD3

60GB SSD

FSP Raider 550W silver

Since i bought this GPU (april 05) i had a lot of problem with this. Can i ask it, what should i do? Buy an Nvidia?

Thanks

• Re: R9 380X Black Screen
          amdmatt

Please try the steps below to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.

5. Install the latest Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta once the above is completed.

1 of 3 people found this helpful
            djsiegfried

This is my second day with clean win10 and catalyst 15.11.1. My PC seems stable now. Luckily.

So, how is the investigation @amdmatt? Can we get any news about this Black Screen thing?

Thanks!

arek_

Yeah, amdmatt any news?

cowtown62

i uninstalled my old hotfix drivers loaded those old catalyst ones. It fixed the crashing issue but im getting black blocks appearing randomly on web pages now sometimes. I also have noticed some flickering and i dunno how to describe this but BF4 actually looks different to me on the new Drivers. im not sure if its cause i dont have crossfire profiles anymore or the visual settings reset but the text and textures looked more dull. Im not really liking running on this old software as the 380X just had been released when this driver came out so i cant see there being much optimization with games.

Im feeling increasingly left out of this new Radeon Technologies group. like my GPU is less then 8 months old and i bought the 2nd one in march. Theres no addressing of the black screen issues in the driver issues page. I see the RX 480 has this new overclocking software which apparently only works with new RX products? Like i was extremely happy with the performance of the two cards in crossfire but now im feeling like i bought a 1-2 year old card and basically feels like buy a RX480 or run on Drivers that are almost a year old why isnt the new Wattman software work for atleast the GCN 1.2 cards? .

If i were to sell my 2 cards id be looking at a gpu from 400-600 dollars what are my options in canada as a AMD user? Everything has been made obsolete by the 1070 price to performance on the upper end so i feel like its crossfire 480 or nothing.

I use to recommend going crossfire 380/380x/390 to almost every i talked to cause the performance is amazing. My brother is currently building a gaming rig he wanted to future proof so i really cant recommend a AMD setup to him as im losing confidence in the support of products. AMDmatt has been great and has always tried to help anyone with the issues but I dont find running drivers from 2015 and still having stability issues is really making me that happy as a customer. I feel like all manpower on the technical side is ironing out issues with the New cards and kind of forgeting about the cards with small market share like the 380/X/Fury/Nano/Fury X.

I really hope the next Hotfix atleast lists the black screen issues i remember i had issues with black screen with the march official release drivers in march then the hotfix came out and fixed it. Like i almost exclusively play Battlefield 4 but not im out all the cool software the was included with the new drivers. Like if my brother buys a brand new 380X he cant load the latest drivers without black screen issues. I no longer get crossfire support with alot of games i use to have custom profiles in the new software.
                  with pretty much any driver i've loaded except these catalyst ones, i've had black screens in GTA V, BF4 and Ashes of a singularity. Ive also had it happen at the desktop even. A few times i woke up to no signal from the monitor. when you do a hard reset after this happening any custom fan profiles that were set a way out of wack. Flatlined at 5 percent fans ETC. I also have heard them running at 100 percent till i'm able to load sapphire trixx again and it sets the fan profiles to what my curves were. 

Im just wondering if theres gonna be a driver that ill be able to load in the next 5 months that wont have this issue and has all the advantages that updated "game ready" drivers give you.

cowtown62

managed to have good luck with a Hotfix driver 16.150.2111.0 Beta (Crimson 16.3.1) / Win10 64 runs mantle fine and no black screens on battlefield 4 so far

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                    mbk1989

Hello,

I uninstalled 16.7.1 drivers, used DDU in safe mode and shut computer down. Remove PCI-E 6 pin cables from my GPU, remove MOBO bios battery and reset my bios. After that, I installed 16.7.1 drivers again. 2 days without crashes or black screen!

Games I've tried so far: NBA 2K16, MGS V, Dark Soul 3, ROTTR, Witcher 3, GTA V. It can be coincidence since I played these games for 30 to 90 minutes (not hours) but it is worth a shot. I read in nvidia forums that CMOS reset solve black screen issues for GTX 970 cards.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      arek_

Please report this issue here - AMD Issue Reporting Form

Maybe then they would start doing something...

mbk1989 cowtown62 djsiegfried  gelonyrum amdmatt hanway teolicious kincses

smilod0n

teolicious

i bought R9 380 in december.It was a big dissapointment.It worked perfectly the first 2 moths and later it started being problematic.Game freezes and black screens every 2-3 days.

I wasted 280$.

i suggest that you buy Nvidia

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          mbk1989

So, I contacted with 2K support about NBA 2K16 black screen issue and I sent my msinfo32 and dxdiag files to them. They analized the files and they said that the issue is caused by RADAR_PRE_LEAK (memory leak) which is driver related issue. To solve this issue they shared this:

PS: I wont be at home for the next couple of days so maybe you guys might want to try this solution.

Initial Troubleshooting Steps:

• First, please start by downloading the installer for the latest driver version of your video card. This can be done through this link:
                          • AMD

Note: We recommend that you place the installation file on your desktop for easier access later on in our troubleshooting steps.

1. We would like for you to launch your computer in a Clean Boot.
                          2. Now that your PC is running in this mode, you will need to open your Device Manager. Press the Start or Windows button and move your mouse cursor over "My Computer".
                          3. Right-click on it and select "Manage".
                          4. In the newly opened window, select the "Device Manager" section and find your video card. It will be under the "Display Adapters" section.
                          5. Right-click on it, go to Properties and select the “Drivers” tab.
                          6. From there, select the Uninstall option. Windows will warn you that you are about to uninstall your driver, say “YES”.
                          7. Reboot your computer if it doesn’t do it by itself (Mandatory)
                          8. Let your Windows reinstall the basic video driver. (It can take a couple of minutes before Windows completes it)
                          9. Do another Clean Boot (Mandatory)
                          10. Now that we are in a Clean Boot mode again, run the System File Checker
                          11. Re-run the System File Checker an additional 3 times (Mandatory)
                          12. Alright, now you can go ahead and install the graphic card driver that you downloaded previously.
                          13. Do one final Clean Boot (Mandatory)
                          14. Launch the game
                            kisushi

Eeveryone should install the driver version 15.7.1 since the 15.11 is crimson this all started with crimson.

RMA might not solve the problem since people here RMA twice and the problem persisted

YOU should do what is bellow:

First you should uninstall the driver, then use DDU and AMD Utility Cleaner.

Then install the previous driver manuallly in the device manager and use Sapphire Trixxx Utility and put, go to the fans settings and click fixed and put them to 100%.

The problem is happening i think is that Since Crimson drivers were introduced they didn't fixed a bug that is causing overheating on the GPU's, that bug is that they fans speed is my default at 20% power and it doesn't moves even when you play, causing it titco overheat and malfuntion.

Also try using Memtest to see if ram has any problems.

Use Furmark if you can stable your system to check is the GPU is fine.