4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 1:49 AM by drewblank

XFX R9 270 recognized as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

drewblank

To start off my GPU has been working fine for a year and a half. The week leading up to this incident my GPU (XFX R9 270) had been acting funny where it would cut out and show a black screen for a couple seconds then cut back in. I don't know if this was a hardware issue or a driver issue but before I got to reinstalling the drivers everything stopped working completely. I could not get any signal out of my GPU, just a blank screen whenever I boot (no bios or anything). So I booted from the video output on my motherboard and ran DDU to completely uninstall all the drivers.

After booting up again my GPU was recognized in device manager as a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter." If I try to install the drivers from the AMD catalyst control center the installation fails because the installer cannot find my GPU. I can tell windows, from device manager, directly where to install the drivers from by installing from the drivers in the /AMD/..../Display drivers folder created by the catalyst control center. When I do that, windows recognizes the R9 200 series but then says "There is no driver selected for the device information set or element." If I try to install older drivers the computer completely crashes.

So I'm completely stuck and I'm not sure what to do. Is the card actually dead and this is all pointless?

• Re: XFX R9 270 recognized as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
          amdpete

Well the card doesn't sound too healthy with it not posting which is way before any drivers get installed.  Are you sure the GPU power connectors are properly connected?

The card still should be under warranty I would have thought so I would send it back for replacement but I would try a fresh OS install first to see if that helps or not first.

drewblank

So I did a full reinstall of windows 10. I was able to finally install the drivers manually via the method I mentioned above...however when I tell the bios to use the PICE port as the primary video adapter I still get no signal out of the GPU.

Is it dead?

drewblank

Also now it seems, even if I'm using the motherboard to do video output as long as I have the GPU plugged in I get a BSOD with the error "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER". So now I can basically only use the computer in safe mode.

Edit: Signs of life! I installed Ubuntu on a flash drive and as it booted up into live mode I had the HDMI output of the GPU hooked up to my second monitor and it briefly showed the Ubuntu start screen however it seemed to be showing a layer of horizontal lines...possibly signs that the GPU is damaged?