2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 7:43 AM by amdpete

AMD Radeon HD 6450 - What is the last/latest driver and will it (Potentially) be able to play World of Warcraft on decent settings.

gawerty

As the title states, I own a AMD Radeon HD 6450 that was a option to choose from Dell when building a Dell XPS 8300 during their after-christmas Sale from January 2012 to February 2012    

I purchased a MSI Radeon R7 370 and was told it was duel-boot yet my computer doesn't post so I don't quite know what to do with it, so the question stands, with my ancient card, what are the latest drivers I can get that are officially (or unofficially) supported that will ensure (If at all possible) that I can play World of Warcraft on at least Normal Settings, I am so tired of playing games on the lowest quality and I'd like to experience what I had hoped this PC Build was capable of back during 2012 (and I mean, come on... WoW came out in 2004 and while the textures have improved greatly... I feel I must be doing something wrong because even if I log on too a WoW Server from 2004 with their standard 2004 client, and put it on Ultimate, I still experience heavy FPS drops [Even though it really doesn't matter for something that old])

Some information/Specs:
      AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB GDDR3 (I think)
      Windows 10 Home
      Intel Core I5-2320 2nd Generation
      8GB DDR3 RAM (Exact company/model name Unknown)
      BIOS - Legacy, no UEFI Support in the near future

Two Monitors, although I wouldn't be opposed to going down to one if I can get a much needed substantial boost.

Also while on this thread, maybe someone could provide some well needed insight and potentially help me out with this MSI Card (The R7 370 I purchased) - As far as I was made aware by someone I trust pretty deeply with the Hardware aspect of the newer model cards, this card should have been able to run on a 460 PSU, and when I did a PSU Calculator (Several of them actually) they came back with results near/around 398-411 each time. This is cutting it extremely close, but perhaps someone knows something I don't as to why it would not POST.

Thanks,

• Re: AMD Radeon HD 6450 - What is the last/latest driver and will it (Potentially) be able to play World of Warcraft on decent settings.
          black_zion

The HD 6450 is too weak to play WoW and pretty much all games except older titles with any decent detail levels, and Windows 10 does not support cards previous to the HD 7000 series.

As far as your PSU goes, it is inadequate for the 370. Assuming it is able to give 460w, which it isn't, at 12v, which it can't, then given 4 years of age which cuts ~2% max rated power per year, you're only looking at 425w. Get a Corsair 650w PSU and it'll work.

• Re: AMD Radeon HD 6450 - What is the last/latest driver and will it (Potentially) be able to play World of Warcraft on decent settings.
            amdpete

Here are the legacy drivers that you can use for a HD 6xxx card:

Legacy

Those are for WIndows 10 X64 which I assume you have since you have 8GB of RAM

Reducing the number of monitors wouldn't boost your gaming performance by the way since it doesn't take much graphics performance to display something on the desktop on the 2nd monitor.

You didn't say what resolution you would be using so I can't really say if it would play World of Warcraft or not.  The new game expansion coming out the end of August improves the graphics for the game a bit so it is possible it may struggle then since the draw distance will be increasing.

It could be the PSU but firstly make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date and if not update it as some BIOS updates resolve GPU incompatibility.  You didn't say what motherboard you have.  If it were me I would google that motherboard against the R7 370 and see if others are having the same issue.  I would also be testing the R7 370 card on a friends machine to make sure it works or not. Depending if it works in another machine or not you can then progress further with replacing the power supply.

The old and new GPU can't share drivers so you should only have the new one in once you have it working.