5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 7:32 AM by danibw0i

R9 380 Nitro 4GB - Overheating and crashes - Bad drivers?

danibw0i

I upgraded from Sapphire Radeon HD6850 1GB to Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4GB september 2015 and since then I have yet to enjoy the upgrade.

In games like Battlefield 4, with the 6850 I ran with medium settings and it was running cool and quiet, no problems, in fact no problems in any game at all with the old card.

With the R9 380 I am forced to run at medium settings still, even though there have been several driverupdates since then. And even at medium settings the card runs hotter than it's supposed to and fans at 100%. If I run at High or Ultra, the card overheats and shuts down my computer.

In Wasteland 2 and This War of Mine (which both are very low requirement games), in several areas, especially when there is animated fire or certain types of lightning involved, the card heats up and the game and/or drivers crashes, with the 6850 in the same areas there are no problems, still cool and quiet.

In Grand Ages - Medieval, even at medium settings, it also overheats and turns the game into a slideshow. The only game I've been able to enjoy this supposedly massive upgrade with, is GTA:V, which was pretty much due to the xtra VRAM + FarCry 4. I generally have lots of drivercrashes, no matter which game.

I've tested and comparisoned the 2 cards back and forth with the latest compatible drivers and the fact is, the R9 380 behaves like a downgrade. I also returned the 380 but the techsupport weren't able to find any problems I mentioned, however they only tried it with the 2 games I have zero problems with + 2 benchmarks, no testing of the games I specified the problems with or the components, to check for voltage issues or faulty microcomponents on the card. Sloppy support in my opinion. But there is no more help for me to get there so I have to try here.

The system is supplied by a Corsair TX850v2 with a single 12V rail @ 70Amp, which is more than enough to run 2 of these cards and then some, so that's not the issue.

My system has a well setup aircooling and it's completely dustfree, even after 10months running this card there isn't a hint of dust onnit. Also, the fans are working as they should, so that's not the problem either. I've also been in contact with the different techsupports on the different games but we concluded that the games weren't causing the problems. My other components are working fine as well. So, the only thing I can think of now.....is the AMD drivers. I've found a billion threads of people having the same issue with the same card and more and more points to the drivers.

PS: I've also tried all the standard tips given by AMD support.

I guess my question is: Does AMD have any plans to release functioning drivers so that we can buy your products without developing frustration tumors? I already got a few grey hairs and I see no reason why I should speed up that process.

Is there anyone here who can say for sure if it's the drivers? Or did I miss something in the problemsolving process? Or does anyone have any temporary workarounds?

______

db

• Re: R9 380 Nitro 4GB - Overheating and crashes - Bad drivers?
          hanway

Well my guess is as good as anybodys, but I'd say it's primarily the card - not just the drivers. With other cards the drivers work mostly just fine. I bought the exact same card (Sapphire) as you and am also very unhappy with my choice. I'm suffering primarily from the blackscreen issue [1] [2] [3] and I've had it. AMD can't fix it (exists for over 6 months now) and as soon as I find a suitable replacement, I'll buy another card. I don't usually switch cards that often, but I really need a functioning PC and I lost hope that there will be another way out.

[1] Problems with AMD radeon R9 380

[2] R9 380X black screen

[3] R9 380 X BLACK SCREEN NO HDMI SIGNAL!!!

danibw0i

Yeah, I've always been using Sapphire cards, they've never disappointed, generally good cards. Until now -_-    Though I can't say if it's AMD's base build or Sapphiretech's adjustments causing the problems.

I've never had the black screen issue, only overheating at medium+ settings and the frequent drivercrashes.

With the store I bought it from doing such limited and sloppy tests I am no wiser onnit. And unless it's the drivers I guess the last "solution" is to return it to Sapphiretech in hope for a replacement. I did contact them at first actually but the website refused to submit my report due to some bug, so I contacted them about that as well and just got a standard autoreply with zero info or solutions even though I explained everything in detail and gave they all needed files to analyze my setup. They do have a 2year warranty on all VGA products though, so there is still hope.

mbk1989

I don't think it is Sapphire related. In the threads, XFX card owners also faced black screen problems. However, I am not sure about overheating issue. Did you try MSI afterburner or Trixxx to create custom fan profile? Btw, drivers can also cause overheating issues. You can try uninstalling your current drivers with DDU and re-install it. Maybe this can solve your overheating issue.

mbk1989

Hi. I have R9 380X Nitro and I have black screen (sometimes it is red screen) issues too. Actually, I am very pleased with the card as I can run every games at max settings @1080p and I don't have overheating issues. However, only stable Crimson driver for me is 16.5.3 drivers. 16.6.1 and 16.6.2 drivers cause black/red screen issues in AC Syndicate and I cannot even play the game with those drivers. So, I recommend you to try 16.5.3 drivers. And yes, it is driver related issue for sure. Other important thing is, while I was using windows 7, games crashed into desktop instead of black screen. After upgraded to win 10, this crashes turned into black screen. My guess is it is compatibility issue with crimson drivers + r9 380 series and windows 10. I already started a thread in drivers section but no response yet.

danibw0i

I should probably had mentioned earlier but I'm running on win7x64 (might be why I don't get the blackscreen and instead crash to desktop), I also don't have Gaming Evolved installed. I haven't tried Afterburner or Trixx, just been using the AMD's own software for that so far. I even tried to downclock the card just a tad but that resulted in a total crash. I know I can autoupdate but I always do a manual uninstall/install of gfx drivers, making sure I keep a clean and stable system.

When I get the card back from the vendor I'll try the 16.5.3 drivers and see. It was easier back in the day, whenever there was a catalyst problem, one just reverted to the omegadrivers and voilà, problem solved. They ALWAYS worked.