9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 1:36 PM by amdmatt

installing AMD graphics drivers causes BSOD (win 7 64 bit)

saccharin

A few days ago my screen began flickering and displaying black bars when the computer was started and then a BSOD after logging in. After trying to fix it I eventually just reinstalled windows which fixed that. But when I try to install the AMD drivers the issue starts all over again. I have already installed every single windows update including the optional ones, tried deleting every single AMD file I could find, uninstalling some updates, tried manually installing the drivers, tried not installing the catalyst control centre, reinstalled windows again a few times and I still get this issue as soon as I install any AMD drivers. My card is the Radeon HD 7850. Sometimes the drivers don't even install now when I try to test them.

Using a Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77-D3H Motherboard, Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU

Message was edited by: Geoffrey Clarke, corrected confusing typo.

• Re: installing AMD graphics drivers causes BSOD (win 7 64 bit)
          amdmatt

Please try the steps below to see if it resolves the BSOD issue that occurs when you install our drivers.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.6.1 drivers once the above is completed.

• Re: installing AMD graphics drivers causes BSOD (win 7 64 bit)
              saccharin

OK, so I did everything you asked and I think there was some good news but also a new problem. The good news is I installed the latest drivers (16.6.2) and after restarting there was no bars or black screen. The bad news is the system is behaving as if there are no drivers. AMD Gaming Evolved says there automatic updates are not supported for my card manager still lists the video card as a standard VGA adapter and I can't launch any games. I tried Total Warhammer, SNOW and Hotline Miami.