8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2017 7:28 AM by ecstubblebine@yahoo.com

Driver Update Failed

jeffer23

I recently updated my AMD drivers for Radeon HD 8790M.  Version is 16.150.2211.0.  Every time I boot my computer it now logs on in lowest resolution possible.  Screen flickers numerous times, turns blank, and then shows correct resolution.  I then get message "Your hardware settings have changed. Please reboot your computer for these changes to take effect."  Reboot doesn't gives a repeat of the same symptoms.

Software is installed on Dell M2800 laptop.  I need advice on whether I will need to do a System Restore, Rollback to an earlier driver, or install a newer version to fix this problem.

I really didn't want to update previously but the AMD software kept giving a popup saying new version is available and there was no way to disable the popups.  The software has also loaded all kinds of programs for games.  This is a business computer.  What software can I remove for minimum needs to use CAD software and other standard business programs?

• Re: Driver Update Failed
          jeffer23

I forgot to mention: This is for Windows 7 - 64 bit - Service Pack 1

Thank you.

kingfish

When you install new drivers, UNCHECK "Gaming Evolved" (raptr)...that is a optional third party program giving you those notices.

How to remove raptr/gaming evolved

jeffer23

I think my notices were coming through Dell because they looked completely different.  The notices simply said a newer version is available and they occurred on almost every boot even though I clicked "skip this version" numerous times.  AMD evidently volunteered me for all of this extra software that I don't need.  My current notice that occurs on every boot is for "New Radeon Software Crimson Edition".  In Control Panel I see "Raptr", "Plays TV", "Vulkan Run Time Libraries 1.0.3.1", and "AMD Install Manager" as new programs but don't see the "new" Radeon Software Crimson Edition.

I mainly just need my driver issue solved so I can do my work properly.  I hope I can either roll back to an earlier version of the driver or install a newer driver.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

jeffer23

I just saw the thread you posted a link for regarding this extra garbage.  Do you know if a System Restore to an earlier Restore Point will remove all of it?  I created one before I upgraded the drivers, but unfortunately it will also remove some other software and Windows Updates that I will need to re-install.  It sounds better than what I see in that thread (if it works???)

kingfish

Since you have a laptop, it is very probable you have switchable graphics. This could be where you went wrong when installing the last AMD drivers. Tell me your processor version.

One thing you can do immediately is go to Windows Update and install the relevant 'Optional/Recommended' updates. There are several that are required by AMD including the .netframeworks and C++ upgrades.

Play's TV and Raptr are in the same program and most/some/nobody don't use it. Play's TV disappears when you uninstall raptr/Gaming Evolved.

Vulkan is new upcoming technology similar to DirectX and OpenGL. Leave it alone. It would only be used if there is a Vulcan optimized program that requires it.

AMD Install Manager causes no issues and can be controlled.

Everything except AMD Install Manager is on your computer because you left the default install package intact. ie..these programs are selected by default to install along with the rest of the Crimson suite. Yes, you can go into the computer Device Manager/Display adaptors , choose the AMD graphics and select 'roll back to previous drivers'.

Or, you can re-install the drivers you have now, over the existing drivers (do not delete them first) and this time uncheck Gaming Evolved, Vulkan, and uncheck the 'Automatic check for new drivers' (two instances of this). This would be my preferred method.

penthe

Since i updated to the latest AMD drivers i got this msg after every reboot "Your hardware settings have changed. Please reboot your computer for these changes to take effect." A reinstall of Windows 10 is not helping and restore points also not.

The only solution for me to solve this problem is to go back to a far more older driver version so it seems.

I uninstalled the latest AMD drivers en reinstalled the older amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit what solves the problem here, many people seem to have this problem but here on the forum nobody says anything about it? I have a Acer Aspire laptop with AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics.

I hope this problem will be solved in the future.

ecstubblebine@yahoo.com

I've been having this issue for a while now, as well.  I'm stuck at the Windows 10 update just prior to the Anniversary Update - which bricked my laptop three times -  I'm also stuck on Crimson 15.12 & 16.5.2, respectively.  I have a Lenovo Y700 with the FX-8800P & R9 M385X.  Other than the inconvenience I have no other problems with it, except every-time it awakes from sleep it gets stuck in Power Saver mode.  This might have more to do with tweaking the CPU to throttle no lower than 2.1 GHz with AMDmsrTweaker, which really helps with games like GTA V.  Anyway, my newest games are all from last summer - Fallout 4, DOOM - and I loath the thought of having to update my drivers.  Every time its been problematic.  I also find I get the best gaming performance with these drivers, so I'm not keen to update.  The only Crimson feature I miss is Chill.  I could care less about ReLive as I don't broadcast my game play, nor post them to YouTube.  I'd also love to try Wattman out but I don't think mobile GPUs are included.  If you ever do figure anything out please let us know.  I've contact AMD via a driver feedback form... and nothing.  Other than that I'm loving this laptop.  It plays most everything on Very High or Ultra settings, including the newest: DOOM and Fallout 4.  I can't wait for Ryzen APUs to come out in about a year.  Pair that with a mobile Vega graphics card and... I hope to buy an all-AMD V.R.-capable laptop by X-mas 2018 for under $1000.00.