AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD Radeon HD 7800 (Win7 64 bit) won't be recognised after clean uninstall

Question asked by denito on Jun 27, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 by denito

Hi

Over the last month, I always got the message to update my AMD Radeon HD 7800 drivers, but for some reason, it never worked. On Saturday, I decided to do something about it and found this thread.

For some reason, I thought it was about the problem I had, so I followed the steps and did a clean uninstall of my AMD drivers. That's where the problems began:

I tried to reinstall the newest drivers but whenever I did that, my graphics card wouldn't be recognised. I reset my system to before I did this mess but when I started my computer on Sunday, it somehow undid the reset and my graphics card was unusuable again. Then I tried everything again only to reset my system again and today, it undid the reset again.

And now I'm at a loss of ideas. Right now I have uninstalled everything related to AMD (the C:\AMD-folder as well), I did this (including using DDU) and also used the AMD Cleanup Utility. I also used sfc /scannow, it always tells me that it repaired something, but not what exactly. I can post the logs if you need them.

I also noticed that the DDU mentions a nVidia GPU, even though I switched a couple of years ago because it broke? Don't know what to think of that...

Normally, I would now use the drivers radeon-crimson-16.4.2-sb-sata-ahci-win10-win8.1-win7-64bit, but as I did that already, I don't want to waste my time and decided to ask for help here first.

So, what should I do?

Edit: I now installed Radeon Software 299 MB Crimson Edition 16.3.2, then I installed AMD Chipset Drivers 36 MB Crimson Edition 16.4.2 and then I installed Radeon Software 322 MB Crimson Edition 16.6.1 Hotfix, but the AMD Installer always displays the same: The options to install the HDMI audio drivers and the AMD installation manager. Shouldn't there be more options? Because after I did this, nothing changed.

Edit2: I now reset my computer to yesterday's working version. I the drivers/graphics card to stop working when I boot the computer tomorrow. What can I do until then to make it work properly?

Right now, I can't access the Radeon Settings, it simply won't open, even though it's shown in the task-manager. The drivers are all up to date, but /scannow still says it repaired files. A virus scan didn't find anything. So... what now?

Edit3: Once again I downloaded and installed Radeon Software 322 MB Crimson Edition 16.6.1 Hotfix, now it displayed more than just the HDMI drivers and the installer. I still can't open the Radeon settings, though. I'm also going to install the latest updates for Win7 and reboot my system. It should work, as it did before, but I still think that it'll probably delete/corrupt my graphics drivers when I boot the computer tomorrow.

Outcomes