15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 11:40 AM by denito

AMD Radeon HD 7800 (Win7 64 bit) won't be recognised after clean uninstall

denito

Hi

Over the last month, I always got the message to update my AMD Radeon HD 7800 drivers, but for some reason, it never worked. On Saturday, I decided to do something about it and found this thread.

For some reason, I thought it was about the problem I had, so I followed the steps and did a clean uninstall of my AMD drivers. That's where the problems began:

I tried to reinstall the newest drivers but whenever I did that, my graphics card wouldn't be recognised. I reset my system to before I did this mess but when I started my computer on Sunday, it somehow undid the reset and my graphics card was unusuable again. Then I tried everything again only to reset my system again and today, it undid the reset again.

And now I'm at a loss of ideas. Right now I have uninstalled everything related to AMD (the C:\AMD-folder as well), I did this (including using DDU) and also used the AMD Cleanup Utility. I also used sfc /scannow, it always tells me that it repaired something, but not what exactly. I can post the logs if you need them.

I also noticed that the DDU mentions a nVidia GPU, even though I switched a couple of years ago because it broke? Don't know what to think of that...

Normally, I would now use the drivers radeon-crimson-16.4.2-sb-sata-ahci-win10-win8.1-win7-64bit, but as I did that already, I don't want to waste my time and decided to ask for help here first.

So, what should I do?

Edit: I now installed Radeon Software 299 MB Crimson Edition 16.3.2, then I installed AMD Chipset Drivers 36 MB Crimson Edition 16.4.2 and then I installed Radeon Software 322 MB Crimson Edition 16.6.1 Hotfix, but the AMD Installer always displays the same: The options to install the HDMI audio drivers and the AMD installation manager. Shouldn't there be more options? Because after I did this, nothing changed.

Edit2: I now reset my computer to yesterday's working version. I the drivers/graphics card to stop working when I boot the computer tomorrow. What can I do until then to make it work properly?

Right now, I can't access the Radeon Settings, it simply won't open, even though it's shown in the task-manager. The drivers are all up to date, but /scannow still says it repaired files. A virus scan didn't find anything. So... what now?

Edit3: Once again I downloaded and installed Radeon Software 322 MB Crimson Edition 16.6.1 Hotfix, now it displayed more than just the HDMI drivers and the installer. I still can't open the Radeon settings, though. I'm also going to install the latest updates for Win7 and reboot my system. It should work, as it did before, but I still think that it'll probably delete/corrupt my graphics drivers when I boot the computer tomorrow.