8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 1:09 PM by socrates

BSOD and Driver loading failure

socrates

I use a HP Pavilion g6 2005AX laptop of AMD A8 processor and ATI Radeon HD 7640G + HD 7600M Dual Graphic card running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and AVG Internet security.

Since 3 weeks system has started showing BSOD and restarts with graphic drivers failing to load. I have uninstalled graphic drivers and reinstalled them but this action did not solve the issue. I tried installing the latest drivers and also installed beta version of driver but issue persists.

Device manager shows yellow exclamation sign below graphic hardware info with report as “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problem (Code 43)”

When computer boots and graphic driver fails to load, a message as “No AMD graphic driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware” shows up.

BSOD reports of T_D_R failure when I analyse the error dump file and failing file as atikmpag.sys

When I boot system with “boot logging” enabled, it showed “did not load vga.sys” towards the later report after showing “loaded vga.sys” initially. The location of file on both instances, is the same.

System File Checker has reported message as “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them”. An online forum suggested downloading and running System Update Readiness tool to correct corrupted files. I ran it and SUR log shows message as

“Checking System Update Readiness.

Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471

Package Version 26.0

2016-06-25 01:05

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

(f)           CSI Payload File Missing               0x00000000         MSDTC.LOG        amd64_microsoft-windows-com-dtc-runtime_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_7547f48c79b40229

Summary:

Seconds executed: 2608

Found 1 errors

CSI Payload File Missing Total count: 1”

I don’t know how to correct this and so stuck with a computer that-

1. Boots sometimes with graphic driver but ends up with BSOD of atikmpag.sys when I run chrome or any application and sometimes without any problem at all until shutdown.
      2. Boots without graphic card driver and might shut down due to “thermal protection” after extended use.

I have given my computer for physical damage check to a tech and he could not find any and suggested that I should do a format and reinstall windows 7.

Please suggest a work around and I don't want to format and install windows but shall consider that as final option only.

• Re: BSOD and Driver loading failure
          kingfish

You need to update your computer from Windows Update....especially the relevant 'optional' updates which will include the .netframeworks and C++ upgrades. Of course you must have SP1 installed as well. This must be done before trying to install any AMD driver.

Please supply the correct APU version...there are many A8 processors and I will try to help further.

socrates

Please....anyone find any solution yet.....

socrates

I see that no one has any solution to my problem. My search for one online has given me a temporary fix which is satisfying to me.

I used amdcleanuputility.exe and DDU to clean up the system off amd drivers.

Then I installed Radeon-Crimson-16.4.2-SB-SATA-AHCI-Win10-Win8.1-Win7-64Bit

After that went for Radeon-Crimson-16.6.2-With-DOTNet45-Win7-64Bit

Then I installed the designated non beta driver for my graphic card, ie, AMD-Catalyst-15.7.1-Without-DOTNet45-Win7-64bit

System boot up may or may not load graphic drive and error pop up continued.

As per suggestion from a website, I went into device manager and disabled both amd adapters. Only disable, not uninstall.

Went to amd folder in C drive and found files atikmpag.sy_ and atikmdag.sy_, expanded both, renamed similar files within windows/system32/drivers as .old and copied the new expanded ones into that folder.

Enabled the disabled adapters in device manager and reboot the system.

Graphic card loads normally...whew!!!!!

After a couple of days, atikmpag.sys BSOD happens, but I do replacing of those specific files and graphic card corrects itself and loads.

I am happy with this fix till something permanent comes up from AMD. Now I know where the fault is

Hope this is helpful for anyone who face similar problem.