Have you installed the required Windows Updates? There are several required for the newer drivers. Got to WU and install all the normal updates, Critical and Service Packs (SP). Then install the relevant 'Optional" updates, which will include the required .netframeworks and C++ upgrades. This must be done prior to attempting to install any AMD driver.
Then install this driver > http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%208.1%20-%2064 using a clean install method > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers
Do you always delete the drivers from the computer before you use DDU?
Check for sytem files that are corrupt ...open a Comand Prompt as Administrator, copy and paste this into the prompt sfc /scannow. Let it run and fix anything it finds. Then run chkdisk > http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disk-error-checking-windows-8
Yes, uninstalling from Control Panel, running DDU in safe mode, even cleared registry leftovers with CCleaner just now before again installing 16.6.1 Crimson drivers.
I ran sfc /scannow, if found some minor errors and fixed them. No errors found with chdisk.
The updates you have posted are for win7, my OS is 8.1 Pro 64bit and as mentioned previously - with all current updates, optional included.
Just tried to run 3DMark firestrike and it crashed. Event log looks like this: http://imgur.com/a/zkszo
After restart, I've tried running Tomb Raider benchmark and it somehow got through it without crashing, tried Valley 1.0 benchmark afterwards and it also got through full test. Got hopeful but then Heaven Benchmark 4.0 crashed right on start. By the way - the benchmarks music continued playing, just the screen froze and PC was unresponsive.
My GPU is not overclocked. What else can I try?
Do you have your anti-virus/anti-malware/blockers etc disabled when trying to download/install the drivers?
Yes, protection was/is off.
Please follow this slavic, and tell me if it works. Its all about how you uninstall the drivers for my part atleast.
I can now use all Crimson drivers. But u have to follow the uninstall below slavic:
(Tell me if it worked)
I wrote a small guide for myself and for people if they ask. See below. (Note, there might be newer versions of the programs below, in that case feel free to use the newer versions of course.... since i said "follow slavic" i though it might be worth mention that)
And again.. I really dont understand why it is SO HARD to make a proper uninstall function for AMD. You should not need all this...
HOW TO PROPERLY UNINSTALL AMD CRIMSON DRIVERS. WINDOWS 10
- 1. Go into Control Panel and “Programs and Features” in Windows 10
- 2. Uninstall AMD drivers as normal...
- 3. Restart Windows 10 after AMD crimson is finished uninstalling
- 4. Run DDU v184.108.40.206 or newer (Display Driver Uninstaller)
- 5. Choose to run it in safe mode. Then it will restart windows and boot back into windows 10 in safe-mode.
- 6. Choose to clean all AMD drivers within DDU. Restart windows into normal mode again after.
- 7. What I did not is that I ran "Registry booster" 2016 (just because I have a bought version of this, but I doubt that this was the program who fixed it)
- 8. Now straight after I ran “Registry Booster 2016” I started the free version of CCleaner, and searched for registry errors. It found 125 errors, and I cleaned them.
- 9. I then ran CC cleaner 1 more time… and it found 14 more errors… then cleaned those as well. The third time I scanned for registry errors, CCleaner did not find any.
- 10. Now I restarted Windows 10
- 11. Went to amd.com and downloaded the newest AMD Crimson 16.5.2 driver
- 12. Restarted Windows 10 as per Crimson installer
I wanna say new News.
I've got the same issue.
My Card is always in ULPS Mode ( Green Light on GPU always on )
Crimson Shows at second Core: no Clock, No Temp, nothing.
GPU-Z Shows second GPU without a BIOS Version
I re-installed my System. And still the same Issue.
Maybe something broke the second GPU ?? :/
I also have a 7990 and using latest Crimson driver 16.6.2 and I am not having the issues you are having with it (I am having a problem with the Crossfire and Frame Pacing options not appearing at all though which I will ask seperately)
New Driver are fine, yeah. But unfortunately I'm also not a Computer NERD and for sure I can tell everyone, that my second GPU is -broken. Each Time Windows wanna get use of it ( if a second or longer ) the whole System freezes. Crimson always has Shown the clock from the second Core (300Mhz) even when Idle in Windows, now it's totally @ 0Mhz. Gave my GPU to a IT Store to check it on a other Mainboard. For now I have a Single Card Downgrade ( R9 390 ). It's fine, but still not the same like the 3 Years old 7990. Maybe I also try the Method with the Oven, we will see and I will tell it next week.