6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 3:38 AM by capt_orso

What settings are contained in the CrossFire pre-defined profiles?

capt_orso

What settings are contained in the CrossFire pre-defined profiles?

• Re: What settings are contained in the CrossFire pre-defined profiles?
          amdpete

Different apps require different compatibility flags to be turned on or off in relation to how the app renders things with Crossfire enabled or to optimise the framerate so that is what is contained in the settings.  I can't really go into more details than that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              capt_orso

Thanks for answering, but that leave me with more questions than I had before.

You can't go into more details, because you are not familiar with the details? or because of a non-disclosure agreement? or something I haven't thought of yet?

My problem is, I have a program for which AMD does not provide a pre-defined profile: DCS-World: Digital Combat Simulator . Setting up a 'profile' for DCS with the settings which Radeon allows for CrossFire, ie the generic 'Default mode', 'AFR Friendly', 'Optimized 1x1', or 'AFR compatible', is not terribly satisfying nor has there been much success with these. Generally, excluding CrossFire and using a single GPU give better performance, which strongly questions having a second GPU at all.

amdpete

Well the reason AMD added the ability to let people pick the profile to use would be for games which otherwise don't have any support but it would be a matter of trying profiles which are available for whichever directX version the game uses and see if one of them helps.  If you do find one of the profiles is better I can see about adding it to the drivers.

I do know some of the settings they use but they are all stored as a binary blob within the drivers so it isn't something you can choose to enable or disable yourself.

I will see if I can find a better profile to use myself when I get chance.

amdpete

In my quick testing of DCS World 1.5 it is possible to enable Crossfire but the app doesn't appear to properly be running in full screen so you need to use alt and enter when flying.  The profiles I tried also make some clouds flash and the game laggy so it isn't recommended even if they do give 90% scaling vs a single card.  So unless there is a profile where that doesn't happen it isn't looking too promising.  I've tried around 30 profiles with no improvement.

It may require the game developers to adjust things for Crossfire to work properly but I am not sure if they would do that since they are working on version 2.0 of the game now.

capt_orso

Since the end of last year Eagle Dynamics has published DCS with their new EDGE engine, which is a work-in-progress, in DCS versions 1.5, 1.5 Open Beta, and 2.0. Versions 1.5 and 1.5ob include only the original Caucasus map, which has not yet been optimized for the new engine. Version 1.5ob contains the newest changes, and is for those who wish to test these, while 1.5 is non-beta, and always somewhat behind the open beta version. Version 2.0 is still in alpha and contains only usable with the NTTR (Nevada Test and Training Range) map and is only available to those who have pre-purchased the NTTR map, which is optimized for the new engine. From the ED development road map, once then Caucasus map has been optimized, and the engine has reached an acceptable level of performance and stability, 1.5 and 2.0 will be merged into version 2.5 in the second half of 2016, which will include the Caucasus map without additional costs. The NTTR map is and will remain a purchasable DLC, with other DLC maps already in development.

DCS requires a high-end system platform to run satisfactorily. From the ED homepage: "Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation". Many in the DCS community have built systems which far exceed these recommendations. The community in general resides at the upper edge of gaming technology, and therefore represents a customer-base willing to invest considerably in their gaming environment.

I don't know the level of coordination would be required between ED and AMD to allow for the development of a pre-defined profile, and I certainly cannot speak for ED, but I personally cannot imagine they would be against partnering at this level with this goal in mind. DCS users have been clamoring for a pre-defined profile already since long before the EDGE engine was released to the general public.

Finding a pre-defined profile complied for a different game, which would work well with the EDGE engine, I believe, would be a stroke of luck at best, and considering the many dozens of pre-defined profiles combined with the user-configurable settings, represents a Sisyphean task at best.

capt_orso

I am very aware of the issues within DCS in getting the EDGE engine to tell Windows it is in full-screen mode and consequently allow for CrossFire support.

Yes, there are a number of strange issues with micro-lags, flashing clouds, and blinking shadows, among them. Also, from personal experience, in CrossFire mode, GPU usage drop-offs with accompanied frame-rate drops, often so short that MSI-Afterburner doesn't record them, but also not seldom that they do appear in the Afterburner log.

1 of 1 people found this helpful