7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 12:38 AM by plsbx

A8-3870k is hot and cant cool it down. Delid?

plsbx

Hello,
      I own AMD A8-3870k on Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H motherboard. My problem is temperatures. It is so high on aftermarket cooling. I using Raijintek Aidos with MX-2 thermal paste.
      On stock procesor going to ~75C and throttling. I can "block" cpu frequency on base but that's not a point.
      I think about delid it, but i cant find info about it.
      My questions:
      - How it's look like under IHS?
      - Is it soldered?

• Re: A8-3870k is hot and cant cool it down. Delid?
          techguy

Make sure that you are using a temp program that properly reads the internal "core temp" of the processor such as HWiNFO, Core Temp, AIDA64, etc. Some software shows "CPU Temp" which is the CPU Socket temp that can run 10C-25C higher than the processor internal "core temp". You won't gain more than a degree or two from the many popular TIM pastes available. MX-2 is fine. You only need about a grain of uncooked rice worth of TIM. More TIM is not better.

First be sure that you actually have an internal core temp issue. If so then be sure that your fans are running at 100% in the BIOS or O/S. If you still have heating issues you may have insufficient airflow through the PC case to exhaust the hot air.

Your A8-3870K is a 100w TDP design so the Raijintek Aidos cooler should not have an issue cooling it if you have proper airflow thru the case.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-3870%20AD3870WNZ43GX.html

Attempting to remove the IHS on a modern processor has a ~99% chance of destroying the processor. The IHS isn't the issue.

plsbx

I wont delid if it is soldered. Btw. new core i3/i5/i7 (non professional i7) are easy to delid by special 3d printed tool.

"Make sure that you are using a temp program that properly reads the internal "core temp" of the processor"

Core temp is 10 degrees less than CPU. (One time it was Core = CPU - cant get why). It's still 75 degrees on core, when 65 is throttling.

I must add: In games temp is not going higher than 65 on core.

"You only need about a grain of uncooked rice worth of TIM. More TIM is not better."

So maybe i will try less than this? Cooler dont have standard AMD mounting system - it is mounted by screw so there is really nice touch with CPU.

"insufficient airflow through the PC case to exhaust the hot air."

What fan (120mm) you can suggest as exhaust fan?

I using SilentiumPC Zephyr for now - its cheap in my country (1.4k rpm). I can feed hot air - case is also hot in fan area.

techguy

No special 120mm fan is required. Most fans list the CFM and rpm which will give you an idea how much air they flow. If the PC fan  vendors in your country do not show info. on the fans airflow, you might be able to find the info. at the fan manufacturer's website. You can also test with your PC case open to allow more heat to escape. If the problem diminishes or disappears then you know that heat buildup is the issue and you will need to add another fan or use a higher flowing fan if you can't install multiple fans such as one in the front and one or two in the rear of the case. Make sure that the fan speed settings in the BIOS are set to 100% or maximum so the fans can operate at full speed as necessary.

Unless you used a large amount of TIM you won't see any gains with a little less TIM. It doesn't take much to fill the minute imperfections in the lid and HSF unless there is warpage.

CPU temp is often the CPU socket temp which can vary based on load and the length of time of the load. So when you first boot your PC the socket temp might be quite close to the CPU internal core or if your PC sets idle for awhile they might be close in temp. The internal core temp is all that maters in regards to the PCs performance and operating frequency.