3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2016 11:02 AM by kingfish

Laptop Graphics Card With Desktop Drivers

justifiedspoon

So, recently I've been having an issue where my computer automatically installs Desktop Graphics Card Drivers (AMD Radeon R9 290X drivers if this helps with anything) on my Laptop. I have an AMD Radeon HD8970M on my laptop. This can cause my games to crash in the middle of a session or it can cause the fps to become very unstable. I was wondering if anyone had a solution or had similar issues as me. Let me know if you need any other bits of information and I will try to get that to you as soon as possible. If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

• Re: Laptop Graphics Card With Desktop Drivers
            justifiedspoon

AMD Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 8970M

Laptop: Alienware 17 R4

Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Driver Version: Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.6.1

Display Devices: 17.3 Inch (439.42 mm) WLED FHD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare Display

Motherboard: Could not find.

CPU/APU: Intel Core i7-4710MQ processor @ 2.5 GHz (Quad Core, 6MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.7 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

Power Supply Unit: Could not find.

Ram: 16GB

I don't know how to find the make/model of some parts. This is the best I can do for right now in terms of what parts I have.

Recently I've been able to just roll back the drivers and continue playing without interruption but the original issue has started to happen again where it consistently updates to these drivers after they are rolled back. I can play for maybe 5 minutes before it causes my game to freeze/crash. When this happens, my internet also becomes disconnected for a couple minutes as the drivers update.

As I said before, the drivers that my computer is continuously trying to update to are for and AMD Radeon R9 290X instead of AMD Radeon 8970M drivers.

I also looked on my order of the computer and it said that there is an AMD Radeon R9 M290X inside but every AMD product I have says otherwise. Since this computer was a gift to me a year or two ago, it would be hard to find out if this AMD Radeon R9 M290X is what was actually supposed to be in this computer (I haven't heard of/seen any thing about this kind of graphics card before)

From what I've seen, this issue effects all of my games in the same way by making them stutter with fps, causing them to become unstable, crashing them, and freezing them.

I apologize for my lack of understanding in computers and their components.

Thank you for your time.

• Re: Laptop Graphics Card With Desktop Drivers
                kingfish

The first thing to do is prevent Microsoft/Windows Update from automatically installing what it thinks is the latest/correct drivers for your graphics card.  Then delete all driver versions from the AMD folder in local disk C/AMD. Clean install the new drivers > Mobile

Before actual driver removal, its necessary to perform 2 steps:

1. Disable automatic driver updates from Windows Update (WU)

2. Remove Windows Update (WU) AMD drivers

1. Disable automatic driver updates from Windows Update (WU):

Navigate to "Control Panel->All control Panel Items -> System" and perform steps above:

disable_win10_update

2. Remove Windows Update (WU) AMD drivers:

WU AMD drivers constantly try to reinstall Catalyst Control Center (CCC/Crimson control panel).

Thats why AMD WU package should be blocked.

The simplest solution -> delete the folder:

C:\AMD\WU-CCC2\ccc2_install