3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2016 12:06 PM by kingfish

cant run 14 year old games with direct3d why?

ydeardorff

I have an AMD RADEON HD 6720G2 with 1GB memory. Sorry to be critical of Radeon products, but this has been an ongoing issue for more than a decade even when Radeon was under ATI.

How is it that I cannot even run Unreal tournament 2004 which is a 14 year old game? I should be able to run this at full settings without so much as a glitch, or lag in the game. I cannot even run this at full screen with all options at their lowest settings.

Every time, I buy Radeon products I run into incompatibility issues, and errors that should have been long fixed by now. I received this laptop as a gift after my 19" gaming monster with a dedicated NVIDIA video card was stolen. So now much of my software library is no longer usable due to the graphics chipset not the CPU performance. I was hoping that the 1GB memory might be doable. But no luck.I find it pathetic that I have to run a 14 year old game at 640x480 in software mode on a laptop that is only a couple of years old. Ive run many of my games and software on computers with specs far inferior perfectly fine. I know this is a shared memory architecture chipset, but come on,...

Anyway,

AMD A6-3400 with Radeon HD Graphics 1.40Ghz
      I have the latest drivers, everything is fully updated.

Windows 10 64bit

4GB of system ram

AMD RADEON HD 6720G2 1 GB video card

1TB SSHD ( 500 x 500 C and D drives)

ASUS KT53A 17" laptop

I'd love it if someone could find a fix for this. after 20 years, I retired from the US Navy, now I just finished 5 years in college and would love to blow off a little steam after graduation. But obviously I cant.

• Re: cant run 14 year old games with direct3d why?
          sandrino

It seems like you are running the game in dual graphics ( which means that you are running 2 graphics cards at once) since you are reporting a HD 6720G2.

Try turning off dual graphics and then it might work. Pluss the GPU and CPU (APU) you have there is outdated and came out in 2011.

Turning off dual graphics will most likely work since dual graphics is not compatible with unreal tournament 2004.

sandrino

So this means that indeed your laptop has a dedicated graphics card.

kingfish

You are probably using the wrong drivers. That APU cannot use drivers from AMD. You must depend on Microsoft for drivers.

Windows 10 Driver Support for AMD APU Graphics Products

The following AMD APU products with AMD Radeon™ Graphics support up to WDDM 1.2 and DirectX® 11 on Windows 10:

• AMD A4/A6/A8-3000 Series APUs
              • AMD E2-2000 APU
              • AMD E1/E2-1000 Series APUs
              • AMD E-200/300/400 Series APUs
              • AMD C-Series APUs
              • AMD Z-Series APUs

NOTE: These APU products must be installed only using the display driver version available via Windows Update. If you have upgraded to Windows® 10, please DO NOT install the AMD Catalyst™ Driver. Instead, enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.

If you have already upgraded to Windows® 10 and installed the AMD Catalyst™ Driver, please follow the steps listed below to resolve this issu

1. Uninstall the AMD Catalyst™ Driver using the Program and Features option in the Control Pane
              2. Reboot the system
              3. Use Windows Update to install the appropriate graphics driver for the APU.
              • Reboot the system