1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 26, 2016 4:21 PM by baba

Black screen after installing Windows 10

baba

Hi forum,

I just bought myself a new system SSD (Samsung 850 Evo 500GB) and replaced my old 120GB OCZ drive.

After installing Windows 10 it seems like Windows updates the drivers and then the screen goes black. When i reset the computer the windows loading screen comes but just before I can log in the screen goes black.

I tried to swap back to my old SSD with the old windows 10 install and everything boots like it should. There is nothing hardware wise that is failing.

After many hours of taking out hardware to see if there were any conflict I choose to install with the on board Intel hd 4000 instead. Works like a charm, but when my 290X is put in same thing happens. I even tried to install the newest AMD drives before I put in the 290X card so that windows would not have to find faulty once first. Still same problem.

I have found a solution that can make the computer work tho, but it is far from optimal.

If I choose the iGPU as default in the BIOS, Windows 10 will load, recognize the R290X and activate the screens attached, let me log in and nothing seems wrong. I can play games, find the drivers and what not. Only "problem" is I cant see anything like the BIOS until Windows is loaded since the PCIe 290x is turned off.

Anyone else have this problem and/or got a clue to what I can do to correct it?

• AMD Graphics Card
        • AMD R9 290X
      • Desktop or Laptop System
        • Desktop
      • Operating System
        • Windows 10 64bit
      • Driver version installed
        • Crimson 16.3.2
      • Display Devices
        • Dell U2713HM DisplayPort
        • AOC 2460G5 DualDVI
      • Motherboard
        • Asus Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU/APU
        • Intel I5 3570K
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Corsair 750HX
      • RAM
        • 16GB

Best regards

Örn

• Re: Black screen after installing Windows 10
          baba

I found a solution to my own problem.

In the device manager I choose to disable the Intel 4000 graphics card. Now when I boot into windows even with my PCIE as primary video card in the bios it boots into windows and no more black screen. It must have been some kind of conflict between the two that made the computer crash.

If anyone else have the same problem I hope it will help you to.

1 of 1 people found this helpful