Reinstalling Drivers During Diagnoses Bricks Computer

username1

System Specs:

Video Card: Radeon R9 270X 4B GDDR5

Processor: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z

Ram: 32GB DDR3 (4x8GB)

Power Supply: Seasonic X-1050

This is an odd one and an infuriating one.  Starting yesterday, for no apparent reason I started getting visual bugs during certain games (Civilization 5, Mechwarrior Online, Metro 2033 Redux), these came in the form of grey and black flickering stripes across the screen.  Which then quickly and repeatedly lead to the computer completely locking down and requiring a hard reboot.   I tried updating the video drivers to the newest ones 16.~, (I had updated a month or two earlier so it was not as if I was on two year old drivers).  That failed to fix the problem, I then proceeded to break down the computer, clean it for posterities sake with compressed air, and re-seat everything, and that seemed to fix the problem.  Until this morning, when it started doing it again.  I decided before I started whineing online I would try to not be a lazy good for nothing and reinstall the drivers from scratch, that being a common theme on all the forum posts I have been reading.  I used the AMD complete uninstall software, (from here AMD Clean Uninstall Utility )  everything went perfectly.  I then went to install the drivers after a reboot using the auto-detect software (from here Download Drivers ).

Halfway through the installation I received this error (I didnt think it was prudent to start taking pictures till stuff started hitting the fan.):  "Application Install: Install Package Failure!"

IMG_20160616_101836.jpg

I hit ok, the install finished, and then I got this: "AMD Radeon Software and Drivers have not been installed."

IMG_20160616_101914.jpg

After rebooting, unsure what to expect, the bios screen has some minor color distortions, windows will boot, but it will not display anything, no matter if I am in recovery, safe, or regular mode on windows, as soon as windows takes over after the boot sequence, I get a black screen, and my monitors do not get any signal.  I would have taken I picture of that log and more in general if I had realized this was a serious issue, but I assumed AMD drivers would not cause a catastrophic failure on an radeon video card. 

Any ideas as what may be going wrong or how to fix it?  Did I make a glaring mistake besides not taking a picture of the error log?  Id really rather not have turned a minor graphical bug into having to purchase a new video card for something as obscenely stupid as reinstalling the drivers.  As my computer is completely inoperable right now.

• Re: Reinstalling Drivers During Diagnoses Bricks Computer
          amdmatt

Please try the steps below to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.6.1 drivers once the above is completed.

username1

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think I'm able to do any of that.  After rebooting a few more times to see if I could access the BIOS, I realized I never see motherboard boot, (As in the logo, with the 'press x to go to y' options).  And now, for whatever reason, the only screen I see is this, whether or not I have the OS SSD plugged in:

IMG_20160617_085119.jpg

Im not new to computer issues, but I have no idea what is happening here.  This is the only screen I can see anymore, no motherboard boot, nothing.  I do not care to completely reinstall windows or the video drivers, but I'm not able to.  Prior to this screen the monitor flickers "Signal Out of Range". This obviously may be a hardware issue, but I'm not even sure which piece of hardware going bad could cause this.

I also see this screen if I have the windows CD in, though it doesn't do anything no matter what key I hit, then it immediately goes to the BOOTMGR screen, which I CAN press cntrl+alt+del on.

IMG_20160617_091235.jpg

username1

After swapping the r9 270x out with a spare video card I had (A XFX R770) it seems to have fixed the problem entirely.

Does that mean the video card happened to die at the same time I reinstalled the drivers?

Or the drivers killed the video card?

I'd really rather not have to buy a new video card, but that looks like what I'm going to have to do.