17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2016 9:34 AM by kingfish

Radeon HD 6470 M not supported on W10 despite claims

nobodyimportant

Everywhere where i've checked the official answer is that, while not supporting Dx12, the graphics card i mentioned above SHOULD fully support windows 10.

The info pages AMD has says it is supported. The new CCC versions say it is supported.

And yet, my graphics card along with the graphics cards of everyone with the same card else DOES NOT WORK.

CCC DOES NOT WORK.

Is there any way to contact the driver dev team so they actually keep what they promised?

I really do not want to start a lawsuit, but this is not acceptable.

• Re: Radeon HD 6470 M not supported on W10 despite claims
          kingfish

You are totally wrong. CCC works perfect with these cards and Win10....with supported hardware.

You left out the important information about your laptop....if you want a answer to this common question supply the info asked for > INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

nobodyimportant

I had already asked this once before with all the info provided and it did not help, i received no answer.

The windows system check said that all the components would work fine.

The laptop is a HP pavilion g6 1017sh, with dual graphics, and an intel HD chip as secondary graphics.

The intel chip does indeed work fine. Not the AMD main one however:

CCC despite claims on the CCC list of supported cards does NOT recognize the AMD chip.

The driver automatically downloaded from the windows store as per the recommendation does ALSO NOT function, as the Radeon chip is unable to be found by any program subsequently and graphical quality is severely impaired.

The driver supplied by the windows store as per the recommendation on the forums is the only thing that is visibly not working, since it displays the graphics card as Radeon HD 7400M series.

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&SUBSYS_1669103C&REV_00\4&17a78faf&0&0008

That is the device. The installed driver is not right for that device.

kingfish

Your laptop switchable graphics work together.   Both graphics cards/chips must support the OS. There is no information on your model laptop. Why post here and not give the specs of your laptop? What Intel graphics do you have...and it is the integrated chip. If you don't now, tell us your CPU. If you don't know, run Speccy and find out.

Laptops Installing drivers on switchable Intel + AMD graphics

nobodyimportant

As i said above the secondary graphics chip is displayed simply as Intel(R) HD Graphics. The CPU is an i5. m480

Graphics

Intel HD Graphics

Manufacturer Intel

Model HD Graphics

Device ID 8086-0046

Revision 3

Subvendor HP (103C)

Current Performance Level Level 0

Driver version 8.15.10.2900

Count of performance levels : 1

ATI AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series

Manufacturer ATI

Model AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series

GPU Seymour

Device ID 1002-6760

Subvendor HP (103C)

Current Performance Level Level 0

Die Size 67 mm²

Release Date 2010

DirectX Support 11.0

DirectX Shader Model 5.0

OpenGL Support 4.2

GPU Clock 0.0 MHz

Driver version 15.201.1151.1008

BIOS Version BR040789.004

ROPs 32

Count of performance levels : 1

As i also said above, the Intel HD graphics is what i am using right now, since the AMD card (despite the fact that it should support windows 10) does not work.

goodplay

Is this a repeat of your arguments from 10mths ago.

Have been some changes since.

This your model ?

112.PNG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      nobodyimportant

Yes, that is my model.

No nothing significant has changed.

3d82a95bad137091881690c859c8ddef.png

As you can see the HP website still recommends getting the drivers through Windows Update. The driver downloaded for my Radeon HD 6470M by Windows Update is still not working. (not just switchable graphics, the AMD card alone does not work either, while the Intel one does.)

Disabling the Intel HD Graphics chip leaves me completely without graphical hardware, the Radeon HD 6470M is not accessible to the system under any circumstances.

kingfish

I repeat...your Intel drivers are not compatible with Win10. Your computer is too old. You cannot have workable switchable graphics as both graphics cards must be supported and have Win10 drivers. That's why the AMD drivers will not install.

Laptops with switchable AMD/Intel graphics Windows 10 support

""" Any 1st or 2nd generation Intel processor with HD2000 or HD3000 (or older HD graphics)  are not supported under Win 10 and no matter what AMD graphics is associated with it, will have switchable graphics problems.

It can not be made any clearer. Take this to someone and have them read/explain it to you.

End of story. ray_m

nobodyimportant

Look i don't particularly care how much you insult me but that doesn't make you right.

a) The Intel chip works fine. I don't know how it is possible that the intel chip, as you can see in the logs above works fine, and dxdiag also says it works fine, and it can handle everything it could handle on a windows 7 setup, but it still supposedly has a bad driver. So i assume that the driver works.

b) The problem is NOT with switchable graphics. It is with the AMD chip.

I do NOT care about switchable graphics, i don't need it.

I need my Radeon HD6470M card to work as per the specifications given by AMD.

It CAN work with the Intel chip disabled, and no drivers for the intel chip installed under windows 7, so if AMD actually supplied the correct driver it would work here.

nobodyimportant

Here's some more details:

1) With the AMD chip disabled, the Intel chip works absolutely fine:

ee0086c29964337d6f479e921261c873.png

2) Now with Intel disabled and only AMD enabled, i have seemingly NO graphical chip active:

8933bf2b5efd6a360c73c9ac1032d952.png

I don't know about you, but for me this means, that the problem lies with the AMD driver, which incorrectly makes the system display my 6400M series chip as 7400M series.

THIS is why i would like to contact someone who actually knows what kind of driver AMD pushed to WindowsUpdate for this card.

kingfish

No it means Microsoft furnishes a basic driver so you can surf the web....as the chart I furnished you shows. However the basic driver they supply does not work with the AMD drivers in Windows10. It does in Windows 7. You don't have a choice about it. The graphics cards work together. In W10, the Intel graphics do not support the OS and have a special driver from Microsoft. AMD won't work with that. HP designed it that way. If you had a newer laptop, there were some models that allowed the IGP to be disabled...but they gave that option to higher spec'd computers.

Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

Bud, there are websites devoted to this issue. Even they are giving up with Win10. The best known, Leshcat, has furnished his last drivers. You could try them.

nobodyimportant

I don't really understand what you are saying here.

- The Intel chip works fine on W10 and has full functionality. Why are you saying that it doesn't support the OS? In what way does it not support the OS when the picture i just posted shows that everything seems to be working perfectly fine. It is not a "basic driver microsoft furnished" it has the same functionality as the intel driver under windows 7.

- Why are you talking about the Intel chip? I'm not trying to have switchable graphics, I'm trying to run the AMD chip separately. On its own. Without the Intel chip. And what do you mean "there were some models that allowed the IGP to be disabled" That HAS already worked alright under windows 7 on this laptop. Let me rephrase this: the two chips did already work separately, so why are you telling me now that i need the intel chip to work (which it seemingly does) for the AMD chip to work?

-None of this explains why windows automatically downloads a driver for the AMD chip which is for the wrong series.

kingfish

Simple answer is, revert to Win7 and all your troubles will disappear. Your graphics solution (switchable) is not compatible.

Good luck

nobodyimportant

That is in opposition to what AMD has stated.

It is also not an answer to the things i've asked.

Please, i really would like to know what is going on.

kingfish

Maybe your right. It could be a conspiracy. Here is a direct line to the people at support (please don't spread this link around). Explain fully the issue you are having. When you get it fixed, please report back so we all can learn.

nobodyimportant

I really don't know why you are being so hostile. Is this not the support forums where one should go if one has questions?

AMD has stated that the primary GPU i'm using is compatible with windows 10. AMD has also stated that the primary GPU i'm using should be compatible with CCC. (Later a post in these forum backtracked on that, however the official compatibility list is still unchanged.) How would the addition of a secondary Intel GPU suddenly make the AMD GPU not compatible?

The AMD GPU could clearly function without the Intel one on a different OS, so why not here?

And why is the AMD GPU being displayed as the wrong series.

Do you seriously expect me to accept "yeah disregard what microsoft said about your hardware compatibility, and what AMD has stated about your hardware compatibility, you're just gotta have to reinstall your old system"?

This all would not have been a problem had the official sources on hardware compatibility not stated explicitly that the series i'm using was compatible.

But they did, and i went through enormous trouble to get windows 10 to work. Just to be told very rudely on the forums that i should just revert.

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy, it could simply be that the bad driver was pushed to WindowsUpdate, or that someone accidentally set one string in the million lines of code wrong. As it has happened before.